EDGEFIELD, nearly 3 miles S. of Holt, is a large scattered village, and has in its parish 638 souls, and 2435 acres of land, including 350A. of heath and plantations. It is mostly in the manors of Edgefield-with-Ellingham and Edgefield-Bacons. The executors of the late John Marcon, Esq., are lords of the former, and the Right Hon. J.H. Frere is lord of the latter. Part of the land belongs to Lady Suffield, and G.B. Ballachey, Esq., has a seat here called The Mount, on a lofty eminence, commanding extensive views, in which 30 churches are seen.
The Church (St. Peter and St. Paul,) has an octagonal tower, and a large organ, built by the late W. Mendham, of Holt. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £11. 6s. 8d., and in 1831 at £300, has 16A. 3R. 25P. of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1844. The Exors. of J. Marcon, Esq., are patrons, and the Rev. Wm. Marcon, incumbent.
Here is a Wesleyan and also a Primitive Methodist chapel, and a National school.
In 1738, Simon Woodrow charged his land here with the yearly payment of 40s. to the poor, and 10s. to the church. The rent of 50A. of land (£35,) allotted to the poor at the enclosure in 1815, is carried to the poor rates.
In the following Directory, those marked 1, are at the Green; 2, Mount; 3, the Street; and 4, in North street.
Ballachey Geo. Baker, Esq. Mount 1 Brettingham John baker & shopr 1 Broughton Robert blacksmith, &c 4 Dagless Thomas wheelwright 1 Ellis John shoemaker 3 Green Joseph vict. White Horse 1 Green Henry shoemaker & shopr 1 Howe Richard National schoolmr 1 Howe William cooper 1 Jordan Jacob shoemaker 1 Ives Robert butcher Marcon Rev Wm., B.A. rector Norton Edward vict. Three Pigs 4 O'Bryen Rev Hewitt, A.M. curate 1 Ottey Tabitha shopkeeper 1 Peek John beerhouse 3 Pegg Moses gardener 1 Woodyard Mr James FARMERS. 2 Amos John 1 Seaman Robt. and Wm. 1 Bishop Richd. 1 Starling Wm. 3 Emery Thomas 4 Temple Robert 1 Green Eliz. 3 Towler Jude 3 Jacobs Jermh. 3 Williams Val. 3 Jacobs Henry Wood Richard 1 Lugg Thomas 1 Woodyard Wm. 1 Merrison Wm.
Copyright © Pat Newby.