Norfolk: Eccles by the Sea
See Norfolk Parish Links
for more information about this parish.
Search Genuki Norfolk for a NAME or a PLACE or a TOPIC.
What's New in Genuki Norfolk.
Eccles by the Sea is about 14 miles E. of Aylsham.
It is consolidated with Hempstead near Stalham
in some records.
See also Eccles in south west Norfolk.
See Norfolk Parish Links: Cemeteries
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Censuses
- In 1883 the parish was in the
Deanery of Waxham, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both
before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Mary, but it was destroyed
in the 16th century.
Nearby Churches of all denominations.
See Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records
For the civil registration of births, marriages and deaths between 1837
and 1869 (and for the censuses in 1851 and 1861), Eccles was in
Tunstead and Happing Registration District.
This district was renamed on 1st January 1870 and, from then until 1930,
Eccles was in
Smallburgh Registration District
for civil registration and for the censuses of 1871 to 1901.
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Civil Registration
Description and Travel
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Description and Travel
- No author
- Eccles next the Sea, Norfolk, and the erosion of the East
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Directories
Eccles by the Sea is in Happing Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Happing Hundred
- Description of Happing Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
- Palmer, Frederick Danby
- Eccles by the sea.
[Norwich, Norfolk and Norwich Archaeological Society,
in "Norfolk Archaeology", vol.12, 1895]
- Pestell, Ronald and Stannard, David
- Eccles-Juxta-Mare, a lost village discovered.
[ISBN 0952641402, Steeple Publishing, 1995]
Land and Property
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Land and Property
- Great Britain. Inclosure Commissioners
- Statement of Claims: Repps with Bastwick (39) and Eccles next
- Great Britain: Statute
- Repps and Eccles Inclosure and Drainage Act, 1807.
An act for inclosing and draining lands within the parishes of
Repps with Bastwick and Eccles next the Sea, in the county of
Norfolk, 27th April 1807.
[London, George Eyre and Andrew Strahan, 1807]
- Land allotment and drainage
- See Hempstead.
- Modern and Historical Maps
- Maps of the parish.
See Norfolk Parish Links: Military Records
Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc
See Norfolk Parish Links: Voting Registers
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and
the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web
pages. Please see the
Copyright © Pat Newby.