[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
ECCLES parish, 2½ miles N.E. of East Harling, and half a mile S. of Eccles Road Station, lies on the north side of the river Thet, and is in Guiltcross union, Attleborough county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Guiltcross and Shropham petty sessional division, East Harling polling district of South Norfolk, Shropham hundred, Rockland rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 208 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1685 acres, and has a rateable value of £3030 15s. The soil mostly belongs to the Earl of Albemarle and Sir Thomas Beevor, Bart. The Hall, an ancient mansion in a well-wooded park, is rented as a shooting box by Colonel William Nassau Lees, 115 Piccadilly, London, who only resides here occasionally.
Here is a station on the Great Eastern Railway.
The CHURCH (St. Mary) comprises nave, north porch, chancel, and round tower with three bells. It still contains the sedilia, a fine double piscina, two aumbries, and part of a stoup. A stained glass window with three lights, representing the Ascension, was recently erected by subscription, in memoriam of the late rector, the Rev. Richard Lubbock, M.A., by Messrs Moore, 89 Southampton row, Russell square, London. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £14, is in the patronage of the Rev. Richard Surtees, and incumbency of the Rev. William Edward Deane, M.A., who resides at the Manor House, Old Buckenham. There are 26 acres of glebe, and a yearly tithe rent charge of £255.
The National School, with residence for mistress, endowed with land which produces about £20 per annum, was built by Sir Thomas B. Beevor, Bart., in 1856, for the parishes of Eccles, Hargham, and Wilby. It is attended by about 44 children, and supported chiefly by subscription.
The former Bishops of the diocese had a seat here till the time of Henry VIII. A common was enclosed in 1812, and most of the waste lands were planted about 45 years ago.
POST OFFICE at Mr. Hy. Geo. Rix's. Letters at 7.30 a.m. and despatched at 7.5 p.m., viâ Attleborough. East Harling is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.
Bryant R. & Son corn, coal, & cake merchants, Eccles Bridge, and at Kenninghall, and 105 Stand, New Corn Exchange, Mark Lane Crisp Frederick farmer, Hall farm Deane Rev. Wm. Edwd. M.A. rector; h Manor House, Old Buckenham Drane Robert merchant (Mornement and D.); h Eccles Station Lubbock Mrs. Lubbock Richd. Girdlestone, M.R.C.S. and L.S.A. England surgeon Mornement corn, seed, coal, wine, spirit, ale, & Drane and porter mchts. Eccles Station, and at The Stores, New Buckenham Mornement Edwd. farmer & merchant (M. & Drane); h Roudham Hall Mowle Henry clerk Nottidge Ralph Clarke farmer, Overa farm Oxer Thomas parish clerk Page Mrs. Emily schoolmistress Rix Hy. Geo. shopkeeper & post office, estate carpenter to Sir Thomas Beevor, Bart. Woods John Geo. clerk, Eccles bridge
RAILWAY STATION: Hy. Wm. Jackson, station master
See also the Eccles parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.