[Transcription copyright © Pamela Littlefair]
ECCLES parish, 2½ miles N.E. of East Harling, lies on the north side of the river Thet, and contains only 1630 acres of land, and 124 inhabitants. The soil belongs to the Earl of Albemarle, and Sir Thos. B. Beevor, Bart. The latter is lord of the manor and owner of the ancient Hall, which is occupied by Lady Flower, and occasionally by Sir James Flower, Bart., M.P., whose chief seats are Lobb Farm, Oxfordshire, and Woodford, Essex.
The CHURCH (St. Mary,) has a small round tower and three bells, and is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £14. The glebe is 26A., and the tithes have been commuted for £250 per annum. Sir T.B. Beevor is patron, and the Rev. Richard Lubbock, M.A., incumbent. The former Bishops of the diocese had a seat here till the time of Henry VIII. A common was enclosed in 1812, and most of the waste lands have lately been planted.
The farms are occupied by John Willingham and Lady Flower.
See also the Eccles parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.