[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
ECCLES is a parish on the north bank of the river Thet, half a mile south from Eccles Road station on the Thetford and Wymondham section of the London and North Eastern railway, 4 south from Attleborough and 103 from London, in the Southern division of the county, Guiltcross and Shropham petty sessional division, Wayland rural district, Shropham hundred, Wymondham county court district, rural deanery of Rockland, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich.
The church of St. Mary is an ancient structure of flint and stucco in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, north porch and a round embattled western tower containing 3 bells: the stained east window is a memorial to the Rev. Richard Lubbock, rector 1837-76, d. 1876: a new organ was provided in December 1894: the nave of the church was partially restored in 1885, at an expense of £500, when the whole interior was reseated with open benches: there are 150 sittings. The register dates from the year 1675.
The living is a rectory, with those of Quidenham and Snetterton annexed, joint net yearly value £250, with residence, including glebe, in the gift of the Earl of Albemarle, G.C.V.O., C.B. and held since 1927 by the Rev. William Maurice Harper Mitchell L.Th. of Durham University (late Royal Navy). A parish hall was erected in 1925, at a cost of £800.
Eccles Hall, an ancient mansion, standing in a park of about 60 acres, is the residence of Viscount Bury M.C. The Earl of Albemarle G.C.V.O., C.B., V.D., T.D. is the chief landowner, and Sir Hugh Reeve Beevor bart, M.D. is lord of the manor. The soil is gravel; subsoil, clay and chalk. The chief crops are barley & sugar beet. The area is 1,767 acres of land and 6 of water; the population in 1921 was 182.
Post Office. Letters through Norwich. Quidenham nearest Money Order and Telegraph office
Railway Station (L. & N.E.)
(For T.N.'s see general list of Private Residents at end of book.)
Bury Viscount M.C. Eccles hall Drane James Drane Robert Mitchell Rev. William M. Harper L.Th. (rector), Quidenham rectory Walker Bernard S. Overa Farm ho. (Letters through Quidenham)
Marked thus * farm 150 acres or over.
Chapman Jas. Railway tavern Clarke Jn. Wm. farm bailiff to C.A. West esq. Overa farm (letters through Quidenham) Drane R. & J. corn, coal, cake & manure merchants & inporters of foreign wines & spirits; ale & stout bottlers; buyers of corn & seed, any station L. & N.E.R.; Eccles Road station; stands at London, Norwich, Bury St. Edmunds, King's Lynn & Diss corn exchanges. T A "Drane, Quidenham;" T N Quidenham 9 English Clement farmer, Station frm * Hewson Wltr. Carter farmer, Manor farm * Pilgrim Chas. farmer, Bishop's farm Rix Geo. Hy. carpntr. Post office Smith Hy. head gamekeeper to the Earl of Albemarle G.C.V.O., C.B.
The Telephone Numbers were:
Albemarle The Earl of Quidenham 2 Bury Viscount M.C. no number given Drane James no number given Drane Robert no number given Mitchell Rev. William M. Harper L.Th. no number given Walker Bernard S. East Harling 26
See also the Eccles parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.