Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Earlham

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

This information about Earlham has been extracted from the Norwich section of the directory.

EARLHAM is a small hamlet on the banks of the Yare, 2 miles W. of Norwich. The greater part of the soil and the manor belong to the son of the late Bacon Frank, Esq., but the Hall is occupied by Joseph John Gurney, Esq., who has an estate here. The bridge was built in 1502, and rebuilt in 1579 and 1744. [Page 152].

EARLHAM CHURCH, dedicated to St. Mary, is a small building on the east bank of the Yare, about 2 miles W. of the [ie Norwich] Market place. It has a low square embattled tower, containing three bells, and partly mantled with ivy. It was re-pewed in 1834, and is a vicarage, valued in the King's Book at 5. 7s. 8d., in the gift of the heirs of Bacon Frank, Esq., and now enjoyed by the Rev. George Cotterill. [Page 118].

[Directory. Page 217]

	Gurney    Jph. Jno. Esq.  Earlham Hall
	Gurney    John, Esq.

	Bright    Edward          gardener
	Bright    John            joiner, &c.
	Cotterill Rev Geo.        vicar; h Colney
	Cross     John            farmer
	Girling   John            farmer
	Kett      James           farmer
	Scarnell  John            farmer
	Webster   Allen           farmer

See also the Earlham parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright Pat Newby.
January 2003