Norfolk: Dunton cum Doughton
William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845
DUNTON-WITH-DOUGHTON, 3½ miles W. of Fakenham, form a parish of 147 souls,
two farm houses, a few cottages, and about 1,600 acres of land, on the
north side of the vale of the Wensum. The Earl of Leicester is owner of
the soil and lord of the manor, which was given by Henry VIII., to Ralph
de Hauville, to be held by the service of keeping the King's falcons; but
in the reign of Elizabeth it passed to Chief Justice Coke.
The Earl is also patron of the vicarage, valued in the King's Book
at £5 6s. 8d., and in 1831 at £111. The Rev. Stephen Allen of Erpingham,
is the incumbent.
The Church (St. Peter,) has in its chancel a fine brass,
representing Clere Talbot and his two wives, and a long inscription to
Matthew Lancaster, "descended from John Lancaster, the first of that race
in England, and first founder of Lancaster."
The farmers are - Stephen Abbott and Robert Bircham.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and
the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web
pages. Please see the
See also the Dunton cum Doughton parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.