[Transcription copyright © Mike Bristow]
DUNSTON, on the small river Tas, 4 miles S. of Norwich, is a parish in Henstead union, Norwich county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Swainsthorpe petty sessional division, Norwich polling district of South Norfolk, Humbleyard hundred, Humbleyard rural deanery and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 73 inhabitants in 1881, living on 616 acres, and has a rateable value of £1247.
All the parish is the property of Fortescue W. K. Long, Esq., the lord of the manor.
DUNSTON HALL, the residence of E. B. K. Lacon, Esq., J.P., is a fine modern brick mansion in the style of a manor house in the 16th century, having pointed gables, ornamented chimneys, &c. It was built in 1859, and is situated in extensive and pleasant grounds.
Nearly all the parishioners died of the plague in 1349.
The CHURCH (St. Remigius) is a pretty structure consisting of nave, chancel, and square tower with pinnacles and three bells. It is chiefly in the early Decorated style, and partly Perpendicular; and was restored in 1844, principally at the expense of the patron, who inserted some handsome stained glass windows in the chancel. A brass to Clere Talbot and his two wives, dated 1649, and the fine carved oak screen still remain. Fortescue Walter Kellett Long, Esq., is impropriator of the tithes, which were commuted at £194 4s. a year, and patron of the perpetual curacy, valued at £33 a year. The Rev. Hy. Churchman Long, B.A., of Newton-Flotman, is the present incumbent.
LETTERS, viâ Norwich, arrive at 8 a.m., and despatched at 5.45 p.m. Norwich is the nearest Telegraph Office, and Mulbarton nearest Money Order Office.
Lacon Edmund Broughton Knowles, Esq. J.P. Dunston hall
See also the Dunston parish page.
Copyright © Mike Bristow.