DUNHAM, (GREAT) 6 miles N.E. of Swaffham, and 2 miles S. by W. of Litcham, is a scattered village and parish, containing 520 souls, and about 2000A. of land, belonging to F.W. Keppel, Esq., Capt. Davy, the Rev. J. Humfrey, Major Loftus, and several smaller proprietors; and partly in the manors of East and West Lexham.
The CHURCH (St. Andrew,) is an interesting Anglo-Saxon structure, with a tower between the nave and chancel. The interior has lately been cleansed and repaired under the direction of the present curate, and contains a curious font and piscina. Fragments of a Roman altar, and the foundations of another church, which was dedicated to St. Mary, have recently been discovered in the garden attached to the Rectory House.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £12.1s.10½d., was anciently in two medieties, and is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. John Humfrey, M.A., of Wroxham Hall, who has a manor here, and has lately erected a commodious National School near the church. The glebe is 44A. 16P., and the tithes were commuted in 1840 for £562 per annum.
Here are three small chapels, belonging to the Baptists, and the Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists.
The Poor's Allotment, awarded in 1797, is 34A. 3R. 22P., let for £48. The poor have also an annuiiy [sic] of £5, left by Dalton Chamberlayne, in 1806; and £1.12s. a year from Allee's Charity. (See East Dereham.)
Brock S.J.W. and R. bricklayers Burton Chrms. wheelwgt. & blksmith Chamberlayne George blacksmith Clack James saddler Eldred James Nathl. schoolmaster Flood John and Thomas carpenters Forby James shopkeeper Horney Richard beer seller Jackson Rev. Robert, B.A. curate Lander Thomas vict. Flower Pot Lawson Wm. shopkeeper Long Christiana corn miller FARMERS Bear Jonathan Carrington Jas. Chamberlayne Walpole (ownr) Claxton Lydia Flood Henry Horney John Hubbard James Palmer Jesse Pond Benjamin Rix Benjamin Rix Thomas Rolfe Rt. (owner) Tuck Henry
Copyright © Pat Newby.