DRAYTON, on the Fakenham road, 4 miles N.W. of Norwich, is a fine rural village, in the vale of the Wensum, and has in its parish 372 souls, and 1284A. of land, mostly in the bishop's manor of Drayton-with-Taverham, subject to fines certain, and partly in the manor of Drayton Hall (fines arbitrary,) of which N. Micklethwait, Esq., is lord.
In the village are the remains of an ancient cross, which had an inscription in French, offering pardon to all who would pray for the souls of Wm. de Bellemonte and Joan, his wife. In a plantation near the road, are traces of an entrenchment; and at a short distance, is Blood's dale, said to be the scene of a battle in the Saxon era.
The Church (St. Margaret,) has an antique font, a square tower, and three bells. The living is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6. 2s. 9d., and in 1831, at £670, with that of Hellesdon annexed to it. There are 14 acres of glebe in Drayton, and 30 acres in Hellesdon. The Bishop of Norwich is patron, and the Rev. Thomas John Blofeld incumbent. The tithes of Drayton were commuted, in 1839, for £253. 5s. 5d. per annum.
Here is a small Baptist Chapel, built in 1840.
The Fuel Allotment, 49A. 2R. 34P., was awarded to the poor at the enclosure of Drewray Common, in 1813. It is let for £10. 15s. a year, which is distributed in coals. Two acres of land, in Taverham field, have belonged to the parish from an early period, and are now let for £3. 13s., which is applied with the church-rates, though it is supposed to belong to the poor.
Adcock Edmund gardener Beasey John shoemaker [see note below] Blofeld Rev Thomas John Rectory Blyth Matthew and Robert joiners Bradshaw Fras. G & F.W., Esqs. Hall Buttle Henry vict. Red Lion Butcher Mr James Cannell John blacksmith Fenn Rt. shoemaker [see note below] French John farmer Hipper Thomas pork butcher Laton Charles H., Esq. Lodge March John shopkeeper Pratt Rt. farmer [see note below] Rayson Saml. farmer [see note below] Thomas Robert vict. Cock West John beerseller
Copyright © Pat Newby.