Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Downham West

Pigot's, Kelly's and White's Directories 1830-1933

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

In directories, references to Salter's Lode (and to Downham West after 1896) are found under Denver, Downham Market, Stow Bardolph and Wimbotsham.

1830: Pigot's Directory of Norfolk

Downham and Neighbourhoods
No description of Salter's Lode.
Stoke Ferry with the villages of Feltwell, Methwold, Mundford and Northwold
No description of Salter's Lode.

1836: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk

Index of Places:
Salters Lode: see page 679, which is Denver.
Denver:
"including in its parish [...] the hamlets of DENVER SLUICE and SALTERS LODE, distant about 1 mile W. of Denver, on the river Ouse; [...] the latter at the confluence of the Old Bedford river [...] At Salter's Lode, are two sluices or locks, one opening into the Well Creek, and the other into the Old Bedford river, the former rebuilt in 1827, and the latter in 1828."
Downham Market, Stow Bardolph and Wimbotsham
No description of Salter's Lode.

1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk

Index of Places:
Salters Lode: see page 611, which is Denver.
Denver:
"including in its parish [...] the hamlets of DENVER SLUICE and SALTER'S LODE, distant about one mile W. of Denver on the river Ouse; [...] the latter at the confluence of the Old Bedford river [...] At Salter's Lode, are two sluices or locks, one opening into the Well Creek, and the other into the Old Bedford river, the former rebuilt in 1827, and the latter in 1828."
See Denver: White's 1845
Downham Market, Stow Bardolph and Wimbotsham
No description of Salter's Lode.

1854: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk

Index of Places:
Salter's Lode: see page 625, which is Denver.
Denver:
"and the hamlets of DENVER SLUICE and SALTER'S LODE, distant 1 mile W. of Denver on the river Ouse; [...] the latter at the confluence of the Old Bedford river [...] At Salter's Lode, are sluices or locks, into the Well Creek, and Old Bedford river."
Downham Market, Stow Bardolph and Wimbotsham
No description of Salter's Lode.

1864: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk

Index of Places:
Salter's Lode: see page 828, which is Denver.
Denver:
"including in its parish [...] the hamlets of DENVER SLUICE and SALTER'S LODE, distant about 2 miles [sic] W. of Denver on the river Ouse; [...] the latter at the confluence of the Old Bedford river [...] At Salter's Lode, are two sluices or locks, one opening into the Well Creek, and the other into the old Bedford river, the former rebuilt in 1827, and the latter in 1828."
Downham Market, Stow Bardolph and Wimbotsham
No description of Salter's Lode.

1865: Kelly's Post Office Directory of Norfolk and Suffolk

Index of Places:
No mention of Salter's Lode.
Denver, Downham Market, Stow Bardolph and Wimbotsham
No description of Salter's Lode.

1883: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk

Index of Places:
Salter's Lode: see pages 218, 702 and 794, which are Denver, Stow Bardolph and Wimbotsham.
Denver:
"It includes the hamlets of Denver Sluice and Salter's Lode, distant about 2 miles W. of Denver on the river Ouse; [...] the latter at the confluence of the Old Bedford river [...] At Salter's Lode, are two sluices or locks, one opening into the Well Creek, and the other into the old Bedford river, the former rebuilt in 1827, and the latter in 1828."
See Denver: White's 1883
Downham Market:
"In 1871, a SCHOOL BOARD was formed, and handsome schools [...] were erected in Paradise Lane, in 1873 [...] another school was built in Barroway Drove, in 1880 [...] and a third is about to be erected at Salter's Lode, at a cost of about £1000.
Stow Bardolph:
"It extends beyond the middle level drain, and nearly to North Delph Bridge, including parts of Salter's Lode and Barroway Drove"
See Stow Bardolph: White's 1883
Wimbotsham:
"extending to Salter's Lode on the bank of the Well Creek"
See Wimbotsham: White's 1883

1888: Kelly's Directory of Norfolk

Index of Places:
Salter's Lode: see Downham, page 338, and Wimbotsham, page 625.
Denver:
No description of Salter's Lode.
Downham Market:
PLACES OF WORSHIP, with times of Services:-
"Primitive Methodist, Salter's lode, supplied from Downham; 2.30 & 6.30 p.m.; thurs. 7.30 p.m"
SCHOOLS:-
"Board School, Salter's lode, built in 1883 for the hamlet of Salter's lode, in the parishes of Downham Market & Denver, the latter parish & that of Outwell being contributory districts; the school will hold 84 children; average attendance 67; Henry Edward Elderkin, master; Mrs. Ada Elderkin, mistress
Stow Bardolph:
No description of Salter's Lode.
Wimbotsham:
"SALTER'S LODE is a hamlet."

1896: Kelly's Directory of Norfolk

Index of Places:
There is no index of places.
Denver:
No description of Salter's Lode.
Downham Market:
"By Order of the County Council, Downham was, in 1896, divided into two parishes, the rural part called Downham West, and the urban, Downham Market."
"A Cemetery of 2 acres [...] was formed in 1856 [...] it is under the control of a joint Committee appointed by the Urban District Council and the Parish Council for Downham West."
"The area of Downham West parish is 1840 acres of land, 6 of water, 38 of tidal water and 17 of foreshore; rateable value £2,395; the population in 1891 was 469."
"Wall Letter Boxes. [...] Salter's Lode, 5.45 p.m."
"Rural District Council.
     Meets at the Workhouse on the same days as the Board of Guardians.
     Clerk, Thomas Lancelot Reed, Bridge street
     Assistant Clerk, Harry Wayman, Bridge street
     Treasurer, Somerville Arthur Gurney, Lynn
     Medical Officer of Health, George Frederick Cross, M.B., B.S. The Priory
     Sanitary Inspector, John S. Parrott, London road"
"Places of Worship, with times of Services:-
     Primitive Methodist, Salter's lode, supplied from Downham; 2.30 & 6.30 p.m.; thurs, 7.30 p.m."
"Board School, Salter's Lode, built in 1883 for the hamlet of Salter's Lode, in the parishes of Downham Market & Denver, the latter parish & that of Outwell being contributory districts; the school will hold 84 children; average attendance 64; Sheriff Long, master; Mrs. Long, mistress; attendance officer, Jonathan Edge, Salter's lode."
Stow Bardolph:
No description of Salter's Lode.
Wimbotsham:
No description of Salter's Lode.

1912: Kelly's Directory of Norfolk

Index of Places:
Downham West - see Downham Market.
No mention of Salter's Lode.
Denver:
No description of Salter's Lode.
Downham Market:
"By Order of the County Council, Downham was, in 1896, divided into two parishes, the rural part called Downham West, and the Urban, Downham Market."
"A Cemetery of 2 acres [...] was formed in 1856 [...] it is under the control of a joint Committee appointed by the Urban District Council and the Parish Council for Downham West."
"The area of Downham West parish is 1,788 acres of land, 6 of water, 38 of tidal water and 17 of foreshore; rateable value £2,537; the population in 1911 was 420."
"DOWNHAM RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL.
     Meets at the Workhouse, monthly, on the same days as the Board of Guardians.
     Chairman, Henry Hoff, Shouldham Thorpe
     Clerk, Harry Reginald Bland Wayman, Bridge street
     Treasurer, Sir Somerville Arthur Gurney K.O.V.O., Lynn
     Medical Officer of Health, George Frederick Cross M.B., B.S. High street
     Surveyor, John S. Parrott, London road
     Sanitary Inspector, S. Clifford Rigg F.R.S.I"
"PLACES OF WORSHIP, with times of services:-
     Primitive Methodist, Salter's Lode, 2.30 & 6.30 p.m.; thurs, 7.30 p.m. Rev. Jn. Williamson Whittaker"
"PUBLIC ELEMENTARY SCHOOLS.
     Salter's Lode (mixed), built in 1883, for the hamlet of Salter's Lode, in the parishes of Downham Market & Denver, the latter parish being a contributory district; the school will hold 84 children; average attendance 50; Miss Marion Lauder, mistress"
Stow Bardolph:
No description of Salter's Lode.
Wimbotsham:
No description of Salter's Lode.

1933: Kelly's Directory of Norfolk

Index of Places:
Downham West - see Downham Market.
Salter's Lode - see Downham Market
Denver:
No description of Salter's Lode.
Downham Market:
"By Order of the Norfolk County Council, Downham was, in 1896, divided into two parishes, the rural part called Downham West, and the Urban, Downham Market."
"A Cemetery of 2 acres [...] was formed in 1856 [...] it is under the control of a joint committee appointed by the Downham Market Urban District Council and the Parish Council for Downham West."
"The area of Downham West parish is 1,788 acres of land, 6 of water, 338 [sic] of tidal water and 17 of foreshore; the population in 1921 was 437."
"The Chairmen of the Downham Market Urban & Downham Rural District Councils, for the time being, are ex-officio Justices of the Peace"
"DOWNHAM RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL.
     Meets at the Institution on the first friday in each month at 10.30 a.m.
     Chairman, Lt.-Col. Sir Thomas Leigh Hare bart. M.V.O., D.L., J.P. Stow hall, Downham Market
     Clerk, William John Hyner, London road
     Treasurer, Walter S. Gurney, Lynn
     Medical Officer of Health, James Gibb M.A., M.B., Ch.B. Lynn road
     Sanitary Inspector, S. Clifford Rigg F.R.S.I"
"PLACES OF WORSHIP.
     Methodist, London road & Salter's Lode, Rev. John Arthur Leafe"
Stow Bardolph:
No description of Salter's Lode.
Wimbotsham:
No description of Salter's Lode.

See also the Downham West parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
October 2015