[Transcription copyright © Mike Bristow]
DITCHINGHAM, a large scattered village, extending southward to the river Waveney, opposite Bungay, 13 miles S.S.E. of Norwich, has in its parish 1,124 souls, 2,055A. of land, and a large Silk-Mill, erected about 12 years ago, and belonging to Messrs. Grout & Co., of Norwich, who employ here about 500 hands. The large heath, in this and Broome parish, was enclosed in 1812.
The manors are -- Ditchingham and Pirnhow, and the fines are arbitrary. The Duke of Norfolk is lord of the former, and John L. Bedingfeld, Esq., is lord of the latter, and owner of Ditchingham Hall, a handsome mansion, built in 1727, with picturesque grounds, near a rivulet, which is expanded into a fine broad or lake, that has been visited during the last 14 years, by a pair of Barnacle Geese.
The Lodge and Holly Hill, are two pleasant seats. The latter belongs to C. F. Costerton, Esq., and the former is the seat of J. J. Bedingfeld, Esq. Tindall Hall, now a farmhouse, belongs to Sir W. F. Fowle Middleton, Bart. Close to the Waveney is a remarkable cold Bath, built by the late William Windham, Esq.
The CHURCH (St. Mary,) stands on an eminence, 1½ mile N. of Bungay, and has a lofty tower. The Rectory, valued in K.B. at £12, has a good residence, 20A. of glebe, and a yearly rent of £560, awarded in 1839, in lieu of tithes. The Rev. Wm. Edw. Scudamore, M.A., is incumbent, and the Earl of Suffolk, and other Trustees of the late Lord H. Howard, are patrons, but must present it to any fellow, except a "plat-fellow," of St. John's College, Cambridge.
Here is a National and also an Infant School.
The poor have five tenements, and 3A. 1R. 32P. of land, (let for £7 10s.) left by John Gowing and John Towers, in 1668; and a yearly rent-charge of £2, left by Robert Davy, in 1725, out of a meadow belonging to J. J. Bedingfeld, Esq. The Town Lands, 61A. 1R. 25P., are let for about £100 a year, which is applied with the church and poor rates, and partly in distributions of coal.
Bedingfeld John James, Esq. Lodge Bedingfeld J. L., Esq. Hall Botwright Mr. Jas. Burcham George cabinet maker Cammell Mrs. gentlewoman Chapman George hay dealer Collins James travelling draper Crick William manager of Silk-Mill Cuddon William maltster Dowsing Mrs. Holly Hill Lodge Dutt William coach builder Folkard James blacksmith Foreman Henry National schoolmr. Foreman Robert cooper Forster Major Peter Cottage Godbold William vict., Falcon Inn Goodwin Mrs. Goodwin Samuel wheelwright Green Margaret schoolmistress Grice B. gent. Grout and Co. silk, &c., manufacturers, (and Norwich) Hayden Mrs. Kerridge Wm. dyer King Michael wheelwright Mann William gent. Margitson James Taylor solictor, Ditchingham House, (office Bungay) Moore James merchant & maltster Morris Isaac joiner, &c. Pulford Charles cabinet maker, &c. Scudamore Rev. William Rector Edward, M.A. Skinner James butcher Smith Joseph bricklayer Smith Robert corn miller Smith Thomas gardener Tibnam James parish clerk Utting Thomas gentleman West John vict., Duke of York Beer Houses. Baker Robert Sadd Samuel Underwood John FARMERS. Brock Jeremiah Browne George Drane George Draper John Hembling John Larkman William Minns James Minns John Moore James Skinner James Skinner Samuel Stanford William Grocers, &c. Gurney William Knights Daniel Thomas Skinner John Shoemakers. Brereton John Palmer George Tibnam Samuel
Coaches and Carriers from Bungay to Norwich, &c., daily
See also the Ditchingham parish page.
Copyright © Mike Bristow.