DITCHINGHAM, a village divided from Bungay - of which it may be considered a suburb - by the river Waveney, here spanned by a bridge, is 13 miles S.E. of Norwich, and possesses, besides some stately private residences, environed by exquisite scenery, an extensive Silk Mill, employing several hundred operatives, and a variety of farmhouses - seats of the lords of the soil - embosomed in trees. The parish comprises 2083 acres, 1 rd. 6 p., and contained in 1841, 1124 inhabitants; its present residents are:-
Batchelder Elizabeth milliner Bedingfield J.L. Esq. The Hall Burcham George cabinet maker Cammell Mrs. Lois Cornaby John painter, glazier, &c. Crick William manager of silk mill Cuddon William maltster Cuddon W. and T. brewers Cunningham Robert postman Dann William dyer Dowson Mrs. Elizabeth Draper William earthenware dealer Dutt William coach builder Folkard James blacksmith Foreman Henry national school Foreman Robert cooper Garrold William baker Gibbs Edward 'Duke of York' Goodwin Samuel wheelwright Green Margaret schoolmistress Grout and Co. silk manufacturers Gurney John grocery dealer Harris Absalom 'Falcon' Hartcup William, Esq. The Lodge Johnson David hay salesman Kerridge William dyer King Michael wheelwright Knights Daniel T. grocery dealer Larke - ladies' school Margitson Mrs. Sophia Morris Isaac carpenter Palmer George shoemaker Raven Mark hoopmaker Sadd Samuel beer retailer Scudamore Rev. Wm. Edward, M.A. (rector) Skinner James butcher Skinner John grocery dealer Smith Hannah straw hat maker Smith Robert miller Smith Thomas grocery dealer Smith William blacksmith Tibnam Samuel shoemaker Underwood John beer retailer Utting Mr. Thomas Ward Benjamin rope maker Welton Hazrael wheelwright Farmers. Barrett Samuel (and Minns James dealer) Minns John Brock Jeremiah Skinner James Browne George Skinner Samuel Draper John Spalding Thomas Hembling John Stanford William Larkman William
Copyright © Pat Newby.