DICKLEBURGH-WITH-LANGMERE constitute one parish. The former is a village with 747 inhabitants, on the Norwich and Ipswich turn-pike, 5 miles N.E. of Diss, and the latter a hamlet and constablewick, a mile further to the east, locally situated in Earsham Hundred. They comprise 2055A. of land, exclusive of 160A. of commons, called Semere Green, High Green, and Dickleburgh Moor. The rector has a small manor, and the Earl of Orford is lord of the rest; but the soil belongs chiefly to copyholders, subject to arbitrary fines.
The Church (All Saints,) is a large edifice, with a tower and five bells, and contains a monument of Lady Playters, daughter of Christopher Le Grys, who was stripped of his honors by the rebel parliament; and died in Spain.
The rectory, formerly in four medieties, valued in the King's Book at £28, has about 100A. of glebe, a handsome residence, built in 1841, and a yearly rent of £725, awarded in 1839, in lieu of tithes. The patronage is in Trinity College, Cambridge, and the Rev. George Stevenson, M.A., is the incumbent.
The Wesleyans have a small chapel here.
In 1810, Henry Kett left £500 for the establishment of a Lancasterian School here, and in 1814, £100 was laid out in building a school room, in the churchyard, and the residue was invested in the purchase of stock, which has since been increased by savings of income to £797. 9s. three per cent consols; besides which there is, belonging to the same trust, about £100 in the Savings' Bank. The master teaches about forty free scholars, reading, writing, and arithmetic, under the control of the rector.
The poor parishioners have a yearly rent charge of 20s., left by Ralph Chapman, in 1618, out of land in Burston. The Town Lands, which have been vested in trust from an early period, consist of 31A. 2R. 33P., let for £60 a year, which is all applied in the service of the church. The Town House, vested in the same trust, is occupied by poor families.
Austin Robert relieving officer Bartram Samuel poulterer Bendall Dennis vict. King's Head Booty Mr. John Cossey Christopher saddler Crisk William bricklayer Dover Rt. Esq. Fish James glover, &c. Garland Thomas watchmaker Gillman Jane vict. Crown Harvey Robert wheelwright Jeffries John blacksmith King Benjamin tailor Smith Rt. joiner & bldr. East Cottg. Smith William schoolmaster Smith Wm. corn and seed merchant Smith Wm. jun. corn miller Stevenson Rev. Geo. M.A. Rectory Thrower Noah corn miller Vallient Samuel watchmaker Wegg Rev. Robt. rector of Frenze Wilton Charles blacksmith Beer Houses. Boot & Shoe Mkrs. Clark John Barrett William Dent Abednego Barnes Robert Gillman William Freeman Wm. Harvey D. (tailor) King William Nicholls Richardson Bakers. Butchers. Plummer J. Ford Jonah Saunders J. Parsons John FARMERS Farmers (* are Owners) IN LANGMERE. Booty John, jun. Abbott Joseph Cooper Charles Barrett Wm. (vict. White Horse) Dix Francis Barham James *Dye John Cole Robert Edwards James Drane James Forester Alex. Howlett Henry *Gillman Wm. Knights John Herne Edward Lake David Hubbard Thomas Mullenger John Knight Simon Palmer George Macro Abhm. Rayner Mrs Saunders James Vyse Charles Vyse George Grocers & Dprs. Edwards James Livock John Row Jonathan West John GillCOACHES and CARRIERS pass daily to Norwich, Ipswich, & London.
Copyright © Pat Newby.