[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
DEOPHAM, or Deepham parish, 2½ miles S.E. of Hingham, includes the small village of Deopham Green, many scattered houses, and is in Forehoe union, Wymondham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Forehoe petty sessional division and hundred, Hingham polling district of South Norfolk, Hingham rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 438 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1646 acres, and has a rateable value of about £3000. The soil belongs to a number of proprietors, and lies in two manors, of which the Earl of Kimberley and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords.
The CHURCH (St. Andrew) is a finely proportioned and spacious structure, consisting of a lofty nave, with aisles and clerestory, a chancel, a south porch, and a massive square tower, The latter, which is in the Perpendicular style, and contains five bells, rises to the height of 100 feet, and is surmounted at the angles by octagonal turrets, and ornamented with crosses. The nave is of the early Decorated period, and has five lofty arches on each side, resting on triangular pillars on the north and octagonal ones on the south side; it has a fine open timber roof, the spandrils of which rest on carved corbels. The chancel is of later date, being in the Perpendicular style, and having a plain roof. It contains a large piscina, and sedilia for three priests, and there are piscinas and the remains of painted screens at the east ends of the aisles, where there were formerly chapels.
The tower arch is lofty and very fine, but the west window is nearly bricked up. The chancel was reroofed, new windows opened, its floor paved with Minton's tiles, and new communion rails erected, by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, in 1864, at a cost of £600. The south aisle was restored, by private subscription, in 1867, at an expense of £270. The nave was reroofed in 1882-3, at a cost of £650. Some mural paintings, one over the chancel arch, have been found. It is proposed to repair the roof of the north aisle, restore the south porch, tower, and west doorway, refloor and reseat the interior, rehang the bells, and add a warming apparatus, at an estimated cost of £3500.
The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are appropriators of the rectorial tithes, which have been commuted for £377 13s. 5d. a year. The Dean and Chapter of Canterbury are patrons of the vicarage, which was valued in the King's Book at £5 7s. 11d., and augmented, from 1716-18, with £70, given by them, £130, given by the Rev. Henry Rix, and £200 of Queen Anne's Bounty, all laid out in 23 acres of land at Shipdham, £35 per annum is added by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The Rev. Hibbert Wanklyn is the incumbent, and has a neat brick residence near the church, erected in 1852, at a cost of £600, and a yearly tithe rent-charge of £190 2s. 9d., and largely added to by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners in 1878-9, at a cost of £700.
The National School, a neat brick building with residence attached, was built in 1851, and is attended by over 100 children.
The Primitive Methodists have two small chapels here.
In 1726, the Rev. Henry Rix left £60 for schooling poor children, &c., and it was laid out in the purchase of 4A. 1R. 32P. of land, now let for £12, out of which 32s. are paid for teaching four poor children, 10s. for a sermon, and 1s. to the clerk, and the rest is distributed in bread among the parishioners. The Charter Acre was exchanged at the enclosure for 1A. 38P., which constitutes the remuneration of the parish-clerk. The Fuel Allotment, awarded at the enclosure in 1814, consists of 14A. 2R. 13P., let for about £15 a year, which is distributed in coal.
A large Lime-tree, 90 feet high, was cut down in the parish in 1705, the trunk of which was from 8½ to 16 yards in girth.
POST OFFICE at Mr. Robert Phœnix's. Letters, viâ Wymondham, despatched at 6 p.m., delivered at 8.30 a.m. Nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office at Hingham.
Allen Wm. farmer & dealer, Hill farm Baldwin Frederick farmer Bateson John blacksmith and vict. The Half Moon Clarke Alfred farmer Clarke James farmer and owner Clarke Thomas farmer Clarkson Miss Georgina schoolmstrss Clements Jas. carpenter & whlwright Dixon Robert farmer Eason Robert farmer Fielding Henry shopkeeper & farmer Gathergood William farmer and beerhouse, The Victoria George Jeremiah beer retailer Hurrell Charles farmer & parish clerk Jude Charles farmer & drill owner Loyd Robert bricklayer Lyngcoln William farmer Minns Reuben farmer Moore William thatcher Page William shopkeeper Patrick William farmer & drill owner Penlington Mr Thomas Phœnix Robert postmaster & farmer Phœnix-Stone Miss Mary A. assistant school mistress Pitts Philip farmer and owner Riches John farmer Ringer Urban farmer Rowing Archibald farmer, and Wicklewood Rowing Miss Mary A. farmer Semmence John farmer & shoemaker Shaw Henry farmer and owner, and agent for London, Liverpool and Globe Insurance Co Shickel Mrs Sarah farmer Smith John shoemaker Stone George thatcher Sutton Thomas Wm. frmr. Church farm Turner William general shopkeeper Watling Henry farmer Watts James miller and merchant; h Hackford Whitehand John farmer Woods Robert farmer
Thomas Rayner, passes through from Ellingham to Norwich Wed. and Sat
John Dye, to Rockland and Norwich, Wed. and Sat
See also the Deopham parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.