Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Deopham

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Paddy Apling]

DEOPHAM, or Deepham parish, 2½ miles S.E. of Hingham, includes the small village of Deopham Green, many scattered houses, 525 souls, and 1626 acres of land, belonging to a number of proprietors, and lying in two manors, of which Lord Wodehouse and the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury are lords. The latter are appropriators of the rectory and patrons of the vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £5. 7s. 11d., and in 1831 at £204, being augmented from 1716 to '18, with £70, given by them; £130, given by the Rev. Henry Rix, and £200 of Queen Anne's Bounty, all laid out in land at Shipdham. The Rev. Richard Adams is the incumbent, and Misses Ames, of Bath, are lessees of the rectory.

The Church (St. Andrew,) is a large edifice, with a square tower, half a mile from the village.

Here is a fine elm, 90 feet high; and a large lime tree of the same height, was cut down in the parish in 1705, the trunk of which was from 8½ to 16 yards in girth.

The Primitive Methodists have two small chapels here.

In 1726, the Rev. Henry Rix left £60 for schooling poor children, &c., and it was laid out in the purchase of 4A. 1R. 32P. of land, now let for £7, out of which 32s. is paid for teaching four poor children, 10s. for a sermon, 1s. to the clerk, and the rest is distributed in bread among the poor parishioners. The Charter Acre was exchanged at the enclosure for 1A. 38P., let for 30s., of which 11s. is paid annually to the sheriff for renewing the "town charter," and the residue is carried to the church rates. The Fuel Allotment, awarded at the enclosure in 1814, consists of 14A. 2R. 13P., let for about £23 a year, which is distributed in coals and bread.

	Clements    Jas. & Chas.        wheelwrights
	Kimm        Thomas              corn miller
	Lebbell     Edward              smith and beerhs
	Phœnix      Mary                shoemaker
	Phœnix      Taylor, sen. & jun. thatchers
	Richardson  Jas.                baker & shopkeeper
	Spencer     Rev Henry           curate
	Winkfield   John                smith & vict. Half Moon

	                       FARMERS.

	Barker      Dd. & Rt.           Matthews    Robt.
	Brassnett   John                Moore       William
	Clark       Rt. & Hy.           Poll        Esther
	Curson      John (& castrator)  Reeve       Reuben
	Driver      Samuel              Ripper      John
	Eason       Robert              Rowing      Archbd.
	George      Jeremiah,           Shaw        Henry
	              shopkeeper        Shickle     James
	Hewett      Robert              Taylor      Garrett Odden
	Lane        Andw. & Bj.         Turner      Fredk.
	Leeder      Thomas              Wade        Robert
	Liddelow    Wm.                 Wright      Wm.

See also the Deopham parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
July 1999