[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
DENVER is a small village, 1½ mile S. of Downham, including in its parish 910 inhabitants, 2,976 acres of land, and the hamlets of DENVER SLUICE and SALTER'S LODE, distant about one mile W. of Denver on the river Ouse; the former at the mouth of the New Bedford river, or 100 feet drain, and the latter at the confluence of the Old Bedford river; both navigable for small craft, and having sluice-gates and locks. Denver Sluice is crossed by a bridge of five arches, and was built at a vast expense, when the Bedford level was drained, but was destroyed by the violence of the tides, in 1713, and soon afterwards rebuilt. In 1834 and '5, it was again partly rebuilt, and widened, at the cost of £30,000. At Salter's Lode, are two sluices or locks, one opening into the Well Creek, and the other into the Old Bedford river, the former rebuilt in 1827, and the latter in 1828.
The parish is in two manors, called East and West Hall, of which Edward Roger Pratt, Esq., is lord; but J.R. Fryer, Esq., (of Crow-Hall,) and Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge, have large estates here; and the latter has the patronage of the CHURCH, (St. Mary,) a small stuccoed building with a tower, a small spire, and five bells. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £10 13s. 4d., and in 1831 at £898, is in two medieties, called St. Peter's, Easthall, and St. Michael's, Westhall. The Rev. S.E. Smith is the incumbent.
In the chancel, a black marble stone covers the remains, and records the worth of Dr. Robert Brady, a native of this parish, and physician inordinary to Charles II. and James II., and master of Gonville and Caius College, to which he bequeathed all his estate in Denver. He wrote several excellent works, one of which was "A complete History of England, from the first entrance of the Romans, to the end of Richard II." He died in 1700.
The Church Land, 28A. 2R., is let for £33. The Poor's Land, 28A., was partly allotted at the enclosure, and is let for about £30. The poor have also £2 a year from 1A. 2R. given by Alex Dillingham; and £4 a year as the rent of "Patch-brigs," purchased with £100 left by Mrs. Stafford.
Here is a Wesleyan Chapel, built in 1838.
A great shew of Leicester Rams is held at Mr. Thos. Brown's, yearly, in June.
In the following Directory, those marked 1 are at Denver Sluice; 2 at Slater's [sic] Lode; and the rest at Denver.
Ambrose Wm. blacksmith & ironmngr 2 Bowker J. river-dues collector Fryer Jno. Richardson, Esq. Crow Hall Johnson Eliz. grocer and draper King Thomas cooper Kirchen Wm. mole catcher Mann Rev. Chas., M.A. rector of Southery, &c., East Hall Mann Geo. deputy overseer Neave Richard butcher 2 Pinnick John sluice keeper Porter John corn miller Sayer Lucy schoolmistress Smith Rev. Samuel Coleby, M.A. Rectory 1 Stevens George sluice keeper Towler Robt. baker & confectioner PUBLIC HOUSES. Parker James Bell Clements Geo. Carpenters' Arms 1 Houghton Robert Crown 2 King James Three Tuns 1 Godfrey John Tyler Jenyns' Arms, (and boat builder) Beer Houses. Dungay Moses (& baker) Flatt John Green Jno. butchr. Hovell Thomas Prentic John FARMERS. 2 Allen John Brown Thos. (ram breeder) Chapel farm Clack Jas. (hind) Curson Edward 1 Flatt John Gascoign John Fen Gates William 1 Hopkins Abhm. Hutson Edward Palmer Wm. Clifford College fm. Porter John 1 Watson Thomas Wood Geo. chief constable Shoemakers Allcock John Clack John Nott Luke Robinson Henry Vincent Robert
CARRIER to Lynn, Edw. Wright, tue. & saturday
POST OFFICE, at Wm. Ambrose's; letters to & from Downham daily
See also the Denver parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.