CROXTON, 2 miles N. of Thetford, is a village on the acclivity of a steep hill, crowned with trees, which may be seen at the distance of many miles in this open champaign country. Its parish contains 428 inhabitants, and 4609 acres of light sandy land.
Lord Ashburton owns a great part of the soil, and is lord of the manor of Sibton; but a portion of the parish is in Broomhill manor, belonging to Christ's College, Cambridge, together with the advowson of the vicarage, which was valued in the King's Book at £6. 13s. 4d., and augmented in 1809 and '19, with £400 of Queen Anne's Bounty, and is now worth about £100 per annum. The Rev. Hy. Williams, M.A., is the present vicar, and has a good residence built in 1843, at a cost of £700, and enlarged in 1862. The tithes have been commuted - the rectorial for £400, and the vicarial for £73 a year.
The Church (All Saints) was built about the year 1280, and enlarged and altered in the middle of the 14th and 15th centuries. It was thoroughly restored in 1856, at a cost of £800. The tower, built of flint, is round at the base, and octagonal above, and is surmounted by a conical roof.
The National School is attended by about 50 children.
Here is a small Wesleyan Chapel.
The Fuel Allotment, 20A., was awarded at the enclosure in 1815, and is let for £5.
About 1200 acres in this parish belong to Thetford Grammar School, and W. Davey, Esq., has also a small estate here.
The chief residents are -
The Vicar Brighton John shoemaker Cole Edw. Noah supt. regr., clerk to Thetford union, regr. of marriages, and farmer, Hall Esling Ambrose parish clerk Harper Eliz. Ann schoolmistress Howlett Hy. beerhouse Lambert Geo. vict., Bell Taylor Wm. smith and wheelwright farmers Brasnett Edw. (Blakney) Giles Hy. (Park) Roper Samuel (Corporation farm) White Benj.POST OFFICE at J. Brighton's. Letters desp., via Thetford, at 8.40 p.m.
Copyright © Pat Newby.