CROXTON, 2 miles N. of Thetford, is a village on the acclivity of a steep hill, crowned with trees, which may be seen at the distance of many miles in this open and champaign country. Its parish contains 330 inhabitants, and about 4592A. of light sandy land, a great part of which is sheep walk and rabbit warren.
Lord Ashburton owns a great part of the soil, and is lord of the manor of Sibton; but a portion of the parish is in Broomhill manor, belonging to Christ's College, Cambridge, together with the advowson of the vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £6. 13s. 4d., and in 1831 at £100. It was augmented in 1809 and '19, with £400 of Queen Anne's Bounty, and is now enjoyed by the Rev. H.S.M. Hubert, M.A., for whom a new Vicarage House was erected in 1843, at the cost of £700. An organ, built by Messrs. Gray and Davidson, was erected in the Church (All Saints) in 1841.
Two small schools are supported by subscription; and here is a small Methodist chapel. The Fuel Allotment, 20A., was awarded at the enclosure in 1815, and is let for £5. The poor cut turf on the adjoining heath, on paying a small sum for every thousand turves. John Wright, Esq., owns part of the parish.
Hubert Rev. H.S. Musgrave Vicarage Lambert Geo. vict., Bell Taylor Wm. shopkeeper, smith, and wheelwright West Eliz. beer seller farmers Gayford Dennis Gayford Henry Christmas Gayford John Roper Samuel
Copyright © Pat Newby.