[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
CROWNTHORPE is a small village and parish 2 miles W.N.W. of Wymondham, on the Great Eastern Railway. The parish is in Forehoe union, Wymondham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Forehoe petty sessional division and hundred, Wymondham polling district of South Norfolk, Hingham rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry.
It had 85 inhabitants in 1881, living on 696 acres, and has a rateable value of £1067. All the parish is the property of the Earl of Kimberley, except the glebe.
The CHURCH (St. James) is a small structure, comprising nave and chancel under one roof, south porch, and square tower with one bell. It is chiefly of the Early English period, but some of the windows are plain Perpendicular insertions, with square heads. The nave has arches on either side, now blocked up, but which are supposed to have once opened into chapels. The ancient font, and a fine Early English double piscina still remain, and here are tablets of the Watson, Bunn and Buckle families. The pulpit was presented by a late rector, and has three well-carved panels, representing scenes from the life of Christ. The church was re-roofed and fitted with open seats in 1844, and was thoroughly restored in 1880.
The rectory was valued in the King's Book at £4 12s. 6d., and now has a yearly rent-charge of £150, awarded in 1841 in lieu of tithes. The Earl of Kimberley is patron, and the Rev. John Edward Parker Bartlett, of Carleton Forehoe, is the incumbent. The glebe here is 16A. 16P.
The parish was enclosed in 1777, and the poor have 10s. a year from Hendry's Charity. (See Wymondham.)
POST OFFICE at Mr. Samuel Breete's. Wymondham is nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.
Breete Samuel post office Smith Mrs Mary farmer Wade Mrs Ann farmer, Groundsell wood
See also the Crownthorpe parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.