Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Crownthorpe

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Paddy Apling]

CROWNTHORPE, a small village and parish, 2 miles W.N.W. of Wymondham, has 111 souls, and 685 acres of land, all (except 16A. 16P. of glebe,) the property of Lord Wodehouse, the patron of the rectory, valued in the King's Book at £4. 12s. 6d., and now having a yearly rent of £150, awarded in 1841, in lieu of tithes.

The Rev. Algernon Wodehouse is the incumbent, and contributed liberally towards the restoration of the Church (St. James,) which was new roofed and handsomely refitted with open seats, &c., in 1844. A commodious Rectory House is about to be erected.

The parish was enclosed in 1777, and the poor have 10s. a year from Hendry's Charity. (See Wymondham.)

Directory:-

	Barker         Meshach       blacksmith
	Harvey         Mrs. Sar.     Cottage
	Howlett        Jph. Gilman   farmer
	Morris         Mattw.        brickmaker and farmer
	Nichols        Edw.          shopkeeper
	Smith          John          farmer
	Wodhouse [sic] Rev. A.       rector

See also the Crownthorpe parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
August 1999