It has a rateable value of £879. It had 74 inhabitants in 1881, and comprises 777 acres of land, mostly the property of Mrs. Anna Maria Shepheard, of North Walsham, who is also lady of the manor. Crostwight Hall, a large old mansion near the ruins of the ancient manor house, which was a seat of the Walpole and Le Groos families, is occupied by Mr. Frederick Gibbs.
The CHURCH (All Saints) is a small rubble building, comprising nave, chancel, south porch, and short square tower with one bell. It is of the early Decorated period, and retains its elegant rood-loft screen, from which, however, all traces of painting are obliterated. There are some fragments of stained glass in the windows; and on the bosses of the roof the heads of a king and queen may still be seen. In the pavement are two stone coffin lids with crosses, and a small brass; and in the churchyard is a remarkable stone of considerable thickness, shaped like a cross, and about six feet long. In 1848 some curious paintings were discovered on the north wall of the church, representing the seven deadly sins, St. Christopher, the Crucifixion, St. Michael, Our Saviour before Pilate, and other subjects, treated with great spirit, and displaying a tolerable knowledge of art. There is a piscina in the chancel, and a stoup-niche in the porch. An organ was purchased in 1861 by subscription.
Mrs. Anna Maria Shepheard is lady patron of the rectory, which was valued in the King's Book at £5 6s. 8d., and is now in the incumbency of of the Rev. John Bartholomew Vale, M.A., who has a good residence, 13½ acres of glebe, and a yearly rent-charge of £150, awarded in 1838 in lieu of tithes.
The poor's land is let for 20s. a year.
POST from Norwich.
Gaze Charles farmer Gibbs Frederick farmer, The Hall Vale Rev. John Bartholomew, M.A. rector, The Rectory
Copyright © Pat Newby.