CRINGLEFORD, 3½ miles S.W. of Norwich, is a small village of neat houses, with a large corn-mill and a good bridge on the river Yare, and is in Henstead union, Norwich county court district and bankruptcy district, Humbleyard hundred, Swainsthorpe petty sessional division, Norwich polling district of South Norfolk, Humbleyard rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 225 inhabitants in 1881, and comprises 980 acres of land. Its rateable value is £2150. The soil belongs to the Trustees of St. Giles' Hospital, Norwich, J.H. Gurney, Esq., Alfred Massey, Esq., and others; but the first are lords of the manor.
The village was totally consumed by fire in Queen Elizabeth's reign, and an Act was passed for its rebuilding in 1581. In the parish stood a Free Chapel, dedicated to St. Etheldred; but it went into decay soon after the Reformation.
The mill occupies the site of one of great antiquity; and in the low meadows behind it, at a depth of two feet, is a regular stratum of small shells. Stags' horns have likewise been found; and in 1795, on removing a mound of earth about 220 yards east of the Hall, a great quantity of human bones was discovered, apparently thrown together in confusion at some visitation of the plague.
Cringleford Hall, a spacious building surrounded by well-wooded grounds, is now the Rectory House of Intwood-with-Keswick, and is at present occupied by the curate of these two parishes. The Grove, on the north-west side of the village, is the seat of Alfred Massey, Esq.
The CHURCH (St. Peter) is a neat building, comprising nave, chancel, and square tower with three bells. It is of Perpendicular architecture, except the east window, which is Decorated, and was inserted in 1859, when the whole building was repaired at a total cost of £127. Here is a remarkably fine font, which has been well restored. The living was a rectory till Sir Alexander de Vaux sold it to Bishop Suffield, who appropriated it to St. Giles' Hospital. The tithes have been commuted for £285 16s. 3d. per annum.
The School, with master's house adjoining, was built in 1858, at a cost of £700. It is supported by subscription, and has an average attendance of 50 children.
The trustees of St. Giles' Hospital are impropriators of the tithes and patrons of the vicarage, valued at £100 a year, and now in the incumbency of the Rev. Thomas Gibson Davy. [The] Parsonage House was formed about the year 1852, by enlarging an old building near the church, called the 'priests' chamber.' This was further enlarged and improved by the late incumbent in 1862.
The National School for Cringleford, Intwood, and Keswick is supported by grant and subscriptions from each of the above parishes, and is under the management of a committee consisting of the resident clergymen of each parish and four other members, lay or clerical.
WALL POST OFFICE by the church, cleared at 5.25 p.m. week days only. Eaton is nearest Money Order Office, and Norwich nearest Telegraph Office.
Arnup Charles farm, Newfound farm Barlee Rev. William, M.A. curate-in-charge of Intwood-cum-Keswick, Cringleford hall Candler Horace Robert corn miller, and (h) East Harling Candler Mr Horatio Cannell Abraham farmer Cross Mr John Cunningham John parish clerk Davy Rev. Thomas Gibson vicar Dyball John farmer Girling Thomas Watson farmer, American farm, and dairyman, Cringleford dairy, Napier street, North Higham [sic], Norwich Harmer Frederic Wm. (F.W. & Co. Norwich), Oakland house Hawkes William farmer Massey Mr Alfred Neave Mr John Hill house Patteson Hy. Staniforth, Esq., J.P., D.L. Robinson Miss Annie Margrt. schlmstrss Shearing David poultry dealer
CARRIERS from Wymondham to Norwich pass through daily
Rev. Arthur James Bock, M.A., is now the vicar.
Copyright © Pat Newby.