CRINGLEFORD, 2½ miles S.W. of Norwich, is a small village of neat houses, with a large corn-mill and a good bridge on the river Yare; and comprises in its parish 191 inhabitants, and about 1000A. of land, belonging to several proprietors; but the trustees of St. Giles' Hospital, Norwich, are lords of the manor, impropriators of the tithes, and patrons of the perpetual curacy, valued, in 1831, at £205, and now enjoyed by the Rev. Charles Turner.
The Church (St. Peter,) is a small edifice, with a square tower and three bells, and was a rectory till Sir Alexander de Vaux sold it to Bishop Suffield, who appropriated it to St. Giles' Hospital.
The village was totally consumed by fire in Elizabeth's reign, and an act was passed for its re-edification, in 1581. In the parish stood a free chapel, dedicated to St. Etheldred; but it went into decay soon after the Reformation.
The mill is of great antiquity; and in the low meadows behind it, at the depth of two feet, is a regular stratum of small shells. Stags' horns have likewise been found; and in 1795, on removing a mound of earth, about a furlong east of the hall, a great quantity of human bones was discovered, apparently thrown together in confusion at some visitation of the plague.
Candler Lawnce. & Horatio millers Cole Eliz. wheelgt. & blacksmith Dixon Rev Edm. S. rector of Intwood Groom Mary schoolmistress Leeds Miss Ann Hall Patteson Hy. brewer [see note below] Patteson Mrs Ann Eliz. [see note below] Scarnell Wm. butcher Smith Rev W.J. FARMERS. Cannell Abraham Dix William Freeman James Newman Robert
Copyright © Pat Newby.