[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
CRIMPLESHAM, a scattered village 2½ miles E. of Downham, is in Downham union and county court district, Lynn bankruptcy district, Clackclose petty sessional division and hundred, Downham polling district of West Norfolk, Fincham rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 293 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1573 acres, and has a rateable value of £3049.
Sir Alfred T. Bagge, Bart., who is lord of the manor, and J. Grant Morris, Esq., of Allerton Priory, Woolton, near Liverpool, are the chief landowners. The Hall, the property of the latter, and occupied by the former, is a handsome white brick structure, standing in a well-wooded park, erected in 1881, Messrs. Robert Gage and Sons being the contractors. Sir Alfred T. Bagge, R.N., who succeeded to the title on the death of his elder brother in October 1881, is the second son of Sir Wm. Bagge, M.P. for West Norfolk 1837-59, and 1865-81. Sir William was created a baronet in April 1867, and died in 1881.
The CHURCH (Virgin Mary) consists of nave, chancel, south porch, and square tower with five bells, and was reseated in 1872, the chancel being rebuilt in 1877. Here is a mural tablet in memory of the Rev. - Royle, a former vicar, and the church contains sedilia with four seats and a double piscina.
The living, a discharged vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £8, was consolidated with Stradsett in 1876. The Bishop of Norwich is patron, and the Rev. William Burnett, M.A., incumbent. The tithes were commuted in 1839, the greater for £525 1s. 8d. to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, the smaller for £176 3s. to the vicar, who has also £110 from Stradsett tithes, 3A. 26P. of glebe in this parish, and 20 acres in Wimbotsham. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners erected a handsome vicarage house of white brick in 1881, at a cost of £1750.
In 1871 the School and teacher's house adjoining were erected by the late Sir William Bagge, Bart. The school is attended by about 50 children, and is supported by voluntary rate and school pence.
The Primitive Methodists have a Preaching Room here.
The Fuel Allotment, awarded in 1806, is 12A. 2R. 24P., let for £7 a year.
POST OFFICE at Mr. Richard Mason's. Letters arrive at 7 a.m., and are despatched at 6.45 p.m., viâ Downham, which is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.
Bagge Commander Sir Alfred T., Bart, R.N., J.P. The Hall Basham Wm. vict. Red Hart, farmer and road surveyor Burnett Rev. William, M.A. vicar, The Vicarage Coe Mrs John farmer Drew Lancaster John blacksmith, and (h) Stradsett Giddens Samuel farmer Hall - farmer Harpley Mr William Langridge - farm bailiff Mason Richard carpenter & postmstr Morphew Mrs Frances Robinson Orviss - schoolmaster Rawling - vict. Nag's Head Reynolds John farmer Rolfe John farm bailiff Rowland Miss Jane schoolmistress
CARRIERS pass through to Downham
Downham is the nearest Rlwy. Station
See also the Crimplesham parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.