Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Crimplesham

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

CRIMPLESHAM, a dispersed village, 2½ miles E. of Downham, has in its parish 358 souls, and 1,573A. of land, mostly the property of Wm. Bagge, Esq., the lord of the manor.

The CHURCH, (Virgin Mary,) has a square tower and five bells, and the living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £8, and in 1831 at £74. The Rev. H. Spencer is incumbent, and the Bishop of Ely is the patron, and also appropriator of the rectory. The Rev. J.P. Royle, of Stradsett, is the curate. The tithes have been commuted for £525 1s. 8d. per annum, of which more than £400 belongs to the Bishop.

The Fuel Allotment, awarded in 1806, is 12A. 2R. 24P., let for £23 a year.

Directory:-

	Doyle     Mrs. Eliz.   Crimplesham Hall
	Duffield  John         vict., Nag's Head
	Plaice    Mary         blacksmith
	Roberts   Henry        vict., Red Hart

	   farmers.

	Bacon     Ann
	Brymer    Geo.
	Candler   John
	Harrison  William
	Negus     John
	Oakes     Pp.

See also the Crimplesham parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
July 2000