Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: South Creake

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

CREAKE (SOUTH), a large village and parish, pleasantly situated in a fertile vale on the Fakenham road, 4 miles S. of Burnham Market, is in Brothercross hundred, Smithdon and Brothercross petty sessional division, Docking union, Fakenham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Docking polling district of West Norfolk, Burnham rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had a population of 976 in 1881, and has a rateable value of £6360 5s. It comprises 4065 acres of land, belonging to Marquis Townshend, Davy T. Belding, Esq., and some smaller proprietors. The Earl of Leicester owns the large farm called Leicester Square (800A.), distant a mile south of the village.

About half a mile S.W. of the church is a remarkable Danish entrenchment, the road to which is still called Bloodgate, from a tradition that a great battle was fought there between the Saxons and Danes.

The CHURCH (Virgin Mary) is a spacious structure, comprising nave with aisles and clerestory, chancel, south porch, and short square tower with 5 bells. It is mostly in the Perpendicular style, but the fine west window is of transitional Decorated character, and the windows at the ends of the aisles are of the Decorated period, and contain some ancient stained glass. The rood screen is still preserved, and in the chancel are remains of the sedilia and piscina. There are also piscinæ at the east ends of the aisles, where there were formerly chapels. The nave has a fine open timber roof with full-length figures of angels on the spandrils.

The discharged vicarage was certified at £35, and is in the patronage of Marquis Townshend, who is also impropriator of the great tithes, which have been commuted for £675. The Rev. Isaac Bowman, M.A., is the incumbent, and has a yearly tithe rent-charge of £440, and a good vicarage house.

The Independents have a neat chapel here, with a residence for the minister.

In 1640 Dorothy Woodhouse left 20s. a year to the minister, and 30s. to the poor, charged on 8½A. of land. In consequence of the non-payment of these rent-charges, the trustees obtained possession of the land in 1692, and it is now let for £20 per annum, which, after the above named payments have been made, is applied towards the support of the National School, as also are £12, the rent of 10A. 20P. of land, called old poor's land, given by unknown donors.

Two legacies of £100, left by Isaac Lane, in 1669, and Elizabeth Pell, in 1730, were laid out in the purchase of 14A. of land in this parish, and 8A. in Terrington St. John, now yielding together a clear yearly income of £55, of which £15 are given to the National School, and the remainder is distributed amongst the poor in coal and bread. In 1860, 700 acres of open land were enclosed, and 23A. were allotted to the poor, and are now let for £24 per annum, which is distributed in coals.

The National School was rebuilt in 1859-60, at a cost of about £200, and is attended by 224 children. The Town House has been added to the School Room, but another has been hired by the trustees in lieu of the old one.

POST OFFICE at Mr. Thomas Oliver's. Letters despatched, viâ Fakenham, at 4.45 p.m. week days only.

	Anderton    Thos.            inland revenue officer
	Belding     Davy T. Esq.
	Bowman      Rev. Isaac, M.A. vicar
	Cartwright  Llewellyn        grocer & draper
	Chastney    Bennaton         bootmaker
	Cook        George Ringer    farmer, Manor hs
	Crane       Miss Mary Jane   baker
	Crisp       Robert           beerhouse
	Dawson      George           bricklayer and mason
	Eagling     John             beer retailer
	Freezer     James            farmer
	Griggs      James            farmer, Leicester square
	Harris      Alban            schoolmaster
	Harrison    George           beerhouse
	Hastings    Alfred           victualler, Chequers
	Hastings    Edward           tailor
	Hastings    Frederick        butcher
	Howell      Benjamin         blacksmith; h North Creake
	Hunter      Henry            beerhouse
	Hurn        James            beerhouse
	Keeble      Wm.              beerhs. shopkpr. & whlwrt
	Lane        William Baxter   auctioneer and estate agent and farmer;
	                               and King's Lynn
	Limness     Jno. Seaman      horse slaughterer
	Limness     William          farmer and dealer
	Northam     Rev. Jacob J.    (Independent)
	Oliver      Edward           maltster and brewer
	Oliver      Thomas           grocer, draper, postmaster, and farmer
	Plane       Dawson           baker and shopkeeper
	Playford    William          bricklayer
	Sherringham Edwin            butcher & baker
	Sherringham Hubert Valentine farmer
	Strangleman Geo.             frmr. and Fakenham
	Smalls      Alfred           builder & wheelwright
	Walker      George           blacksmith
	Wasey       Charles          builder
	Wasey       Frederick        grocer and draper
	Wasey       James            baker
	Wasey       Thomas           bootmaker
	Webster     William          carrier
	Whisker     George           blacksmith
	Whisker     John             blacksmith
	Young       Frankling        bootmaker and parish clerk

CARRIER - William Webster, to Fakenham daily


From ADDITIONS AND CORRECTIONS on pages 13-16:

"The Primitive Methodists are building a chapel here."


See also the South Creake parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
January 2005