CRANWICH, on the south side of the river Wissey, 1½ mile W.N.W. of Mundford, and 6 miles N. of Brandon, is in Thetford union and county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Grimshoe hundred and petty sessional division, Methwold polling district of West Norfolk, Cranwich rural deanery and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 71 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1824 acres (1807A. 3R. 5P. without the roads), and has a rateable value of £873 15s. The parish mostly belongs to Mrs. Lyne Stephens, the lady of the manor, and partly to W.A.T. Amherst, Esq., M.P.
The CHURCH (Virgin Mary) is a small edifice, with a nave and chancel, and a round tower of great antiquity, supposed to have been built by the Danish king, Harold. It was thoroughly restored, re-roofed, and re-pewed in 1861, and still retains its piscina.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £8 9s. 7d., is in the gift of W.A.T. Amherst, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. Hy. Ray, B.A., who has 18A. of glebe, a good residence, and a yearly tithe rent-charge of £180. This living is now consolidated with Didlington and Colvestone.
The poor have the interest of £20, left by the Rev. N. Poyntz, and another donor.
POST from Brandon, through Mundford, which is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office. Brandon is the nearest Railway Station.
Aspen John parish clerk Palmer John farmer, Manor house Ray Rev. Henry, B.A. rector
Copyright © Pat Newby.