CRANWICH, on the south side of the river Wissey, 1½ mile W.N.W. of Mundford, and 6 miles N. of Brandon, is a parish with 88 inhabitants, and 1824 acres of land, mostly belonging to Mrs. Lyne Stephens, the lady of the manor, and partly to W.A.T. Amhurst, Esq. It gives name to a deanery.
The Church (Virgin Mary) is a small edifice, with a nave and chancel, and a round tower of great antiquity, supposed to have been built by the Danish King, Harold. It was thoroughly restored, re-roofed, and re-pewed in 1861, and still retains its piscina.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £8. 9s. 7d., is in the gift of W.A.T. Amhurst, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. Fredk. Askew Bickmore, M.A., who has 18A. of glebe, a good residence, and a yearly tithe rent-charge of £180.
The poor have the interest of £20, left by the Rev. N. Poyntz, and another donor.
The chief residents are -
The Rector Abbott Jas. Bradfield farmer, Manor House Fuller John parish clerk Quibell Mrs. Sarah vict., Leather BottlePOST from Brandon, via Mundford.
Copyright © Pat Newby.