CRANWICH, on the south side of the river Wissey, 1½ mile W.N.W. of Mundford, and 6 miles N. of Brandon, is a parish, with 108 inhabitants, and 1549 acres of land, in one farm, belonging to Sir Richard Sutton, Bart. It gives name to a deanery. (See page 391 [which is the entry for Grimshoe Hundred].)
The Church (Virgin Mary) is a small neat edifice, with a round tower of great antiquity, supposed to have been built by the Danish King Harold. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £8. 9s. 7d., and in 1843 at £450, with the vicarage of Methwold, annexed to it, is in the gift of H.S. Partridge Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. V.E. Eyre. Here are 18A. of glebe, and a good residence.
The poor have the interest of £20, left by the Rev. N. Poyntz and another donor.
Eyre Rev. Vincent Edward Rectory Chambers James farmer Quibell Joseph vict. and brewer Leather Bottle
Copyright © Pat Newby.