COSTON parish, on the river Yare, 4 miles N.N.E. of Hingham, has only 58 inhabitants, and 342A. 2R. 16P. of land, nearly all in one farm belonging to Lord Wodehouse.
The Church (St. Michael) is a small neat edifice of pure early-English character, and comprises nave, chancel, south porch, and square tower with one bell. The windows are all lancet-shaped, except that at the east end, which is an ugly square-headed perpendicular one. The porch is evidently of later date than the rest of the church, and the principal entrance was doubtlessly by the north doorway, inside which is the holy water stoup. The chancel arch is sharply pointed and narrow, and terminates in a tie. The steps leading to the rood-loft remain entire. There is a large aumbry in the chancel, and behind the pulpit is a piscina. In 1850, the nave was fitted with open seats at a cost of £70, derived from the sale of the late Archdeacon's portrait. Mr. C.C. Atkins, at the same time, restored and repaired the stonework at a cost of £20, and the rector repaired the chancel.
The rectory, certified at £21, was always held by the Archdeacon of Norfolk, till 1855, when it was consolidated with the Vicarage of Runhall. It is in the patronage of the Bishop of Norwich and Lord Wodehouse alternately, and in the incumbency of the Rev. Robert Brown Slipper, M.A., who has 8a. of glebe, a yearly tithe rent-charge of £95. 5s., and a neat Rectory House, which was built in 1857, at a cost of £600, on the site of the old palace of the Archdeacons.
The School is supported by Lord Wodehouse, and attended by about 25 children. It is held in a cottage, but a new building is contemplated.
The chief residents are
the rector Atkins Charles Cadywold farmer, land agent and valuer Orton Robert schoolmaster Nicholls Edward vict. Coach and HorsesPOST via Wymondham.
Copyright © Pat Newby.