CORPUSTY is a village and parish, on the south side of the river Bure, 5½ miles N.W. by W. of Aylsham, and 6 miles S.S.E. of Holt, and is in Aylsham union and county court district, South Erpingham hundred and petty sessional division, Norwich bankruptcy district, Reepham polling district of North Norfolk, and Ingworth rural deanery. It has a rateable value of £1425, and had 379 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1018 acres. The parish belongs chiefly to Colonel C.R. St. John Ives and Colonel W.E.G.L. Bulwer, the latter of whom is lord of the manor of Stinton and Heydon, which extends into this parish.
The CHURCH (St. Peter) comprises nave, chancel, and tower with one bell. The vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £4 12s. 8d., and augmented from 1746 to 1810, with £1000 of Queen Anne's Bounty, is now only worth £62 per annum. The Bishop of Norwich is patron, and the Rev. James H. Watson, M.A., of Saxthorpe, sequestrator. The tithes were commuted about twenty years ago for £256 a year, of which £17 are payable to the Earl of Orford, who owns about 40A. in the parish, and the remainder belongs to Colonel Ives, the impropriator.
The Primitive Methodists have a chapel, with Sunday School attached, built in 1859. The common of 49A. has been enclosed under an Act passed in 1863.
A School Board was established in 1875, for the united districts of Corpusty, Saxthorpe, and Irmingland. The school, which is situated in this parish, was erected in 1880, at an outlay of about £1000. The present Board consists of Rev. J.H. Watson (chairman), Mr. W.A. Dixon (vice-chairman), and Messrs. G.R. Rice, G. Gayford, S. Goldsmith, E. Cornish, and D.W.C. Warren. Mr. Thomas Hase is the clerk.
POST viâ Norwich. Reepham and Aylsham are the nearest Money Order Offices.
Arthurton Geo. blacksmith & farmer Bateman William vict. Horse Shoes Betts Abraham bootmaker Burton Joseph wheelwright Dingle Henry farm bailiff Eke Miss Hannah grocer and draper Fitt John shopkeeper Flogdell Henry vict. Duke's Head Fowell Samuel farmer Goldsmith Samuel miller & merchant Hipperson John bricklayer Johnson Jeffery Denn farmer; h Bury St. Edmunds Kiddell George farmer Ling William farmer Mays James victualler, Wheat Sheaf Pinchen James mineral water and baking powder manufacturer Pinchen John baker Platten Henry parish clerk Rickus Wm. Charles Board schlmaster Skerrett George baker Thornton Adam bootmaker Utting Edward farmer and butcher Warren Daniel W.C. frmr.; h Heydon Westney Richard bricklayer
Copyright © Pat Newby.