CORPUSTY is a village and parish, on the south side of the Bure, 5½ miles N.W. by W. of Aylsham, and 6 miles S.S.E. of Holt, containing 449 souls, and 1018A. 2R. 21P. of land, including 49A. of common.
The soil belongs chiefly to Jeremiah Ives and W.E.L. Bulwer, Esqrs., the latter of whom is lord of the manor of Hinton [sic] and Heydon, which extends into this parish; and the former is patron of the vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £4. 12s. 8d., and augmented from 1746 to 1810, with £1000 of Queen Anne's Bounty, though valued in 1831, at only £62. The Rev. Saml. Ashby is the incumbent. The Church (St. Peter,) is a single pile, with a tower and one bell. The great and small tithes have recently been commuted for £256 per annum.
Bird Henry grocer and tailor Blomfield Wm. & James butchers Calver Charles horse dealer Emms John dealer Flogdell John baker Goldsmith Samuel corn miller Goldsmith John B. book agent Jarvis Wm. butcher Pegg Peter and Richard poulterers Platten Robert tailor and grocer Platten Wm. shoemaker and vict. Horse Shoes Reynolds Thomas baker Reynolds Wm. shoemaker Utting Jas. carrier & vict. Wheat Sheaf Weston Wm. bricklayer FARMERS. Blacksmiths. Eacher John Eke John Golding John Gooch Js. farrier Kiddell John Semmence Jas. Kiddell George Pratt Benjamin Wheelwrights, &c. Austin James Eke Jonas Elmer George
Copyright © Pat Newby.