CONGHAM is a scattered, but pleasant village, with several neat houses, 7 miles E.N.E. of Lynn, comprising in its parish 326 inhabitants, and 2,455 acres of land, with extensive woods and plantations, most of them embowering Congham Lodge. The common was enclosed in 1812. Henry Elwes, Esq. of Colesbourne, Gloucestershire, and Miss Hamond of Swaffham, own most of the soil. The former is lord of Rusteyns, Beleters, and Reed Hall manors; and the latter is lady of the manor of Congham, which was held successively by the Paston, Daniel, Wodehouse, Spelman, Mordaunt, and other families.
That eminent English antiquary and lawyer, Sir Henry Spelman, was born here in 1564, and served as high sheriff of Norfolk, in 1604. He died in London, in 1641, and lies buried in the south transept of Westminster Abbey. J.E. Everard, Esq., has a pleasant seat and estate in the parish, on the Grimstone road, near Roydon.
The CHURCH, (St. Andrew,) is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £12, and in 1831 at £472. It was endowed in 1718, by Ellen Spelman, with houses, land, and tithes, then of the yearly value of £53 18s. 6d. John Roper, Esq. of West Dereham, is patron; and the Rev. Joseph Wright, M.A., incumbent.
The Fuel Allotment, on which the poor cut turves, &c. is 19A., awarded at the enclosure in 1813. The poor have also the interest of £10, left by John Bailey, in 1712.
Beck John farm-steward to Hy. Elwes, Esq., (1,000A.) Denny Wm. gamekeeper to Miss Hamond Everard Jas. Elsden, Esq. Lincoln J. farmer Oldman Robt. farmer Rogers John miller Rudd Thos. farmer Wright Rev. J., M.A. rector
Copyright © Pat Newby.