Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Colveston

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

COLVESTON, a small parish, 2 miles N. of Mundford, and 8½ miles S. by W. of Swaffham, is in Swaffham union and county court district, Lynn bankruptcy district, Grimshoe hundred and petty sessional division, Methwold polling district of West Norfolk, Cranwich rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry.

It had 44 inhabitants in 1881, living on 861 acres, and has a rateable value of £392. All the parish, except a few acres, is the property and manor of W.A.T. Amherst, Esq., M.P., of Didlington, but formerly belonging to Lord Berners, one of whose family built Colveston Hall, now a farm house.

The CHURCH (Virgin Mary) was dilapidated at an early period, but its position can still be traced. Close to the site stands the nearly decayed trunk of a very large ash tree, apparently about three hundred years old, testifying how long the church must have been in ruins. The rectory is consolidated with Didlington and Cranwich.

POST from Brandon.

See also the Colveston parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
August 1999