[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
COLTON is a parish and scattered village, 8 miles W. of Norwich, in Forehoe union, Norwich county court district and bankruptcy district, Forehoe petty sessional division and hundred, Wymondham polling district of South Norfolk, Hingham rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 240 inhabitants in 1881, living on 888 acres, and had a rateable value of £1699 15s. Messrs. Blake, Keith and Blake, solicitors, Norwich, and Mr. Stephen Hipkin, own all the land, which forms part of the manor of Costessey.
The CHURCH (St. Andrew) is in the Decorated style, and comprises nave, chancel, north porch, and square tower, with 3 bells. It was restored in 1850 by the late John Daveney, Esq., who enriched all the windows with stained glass. The same gentleman, in 1855, presented a fine organ with 12 stops, and endowed it with the interest of £550 three per cents. The chancel-screen is well carved, and the seats have beautiful poppies. A brass lecturn has been presented by the rector, and a friend has erected a handsome pulpit. Inside the south door is a holy water stoup. In the church are tablets of the Daveney, Pooley, and Ives families.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6 9s. 9d., was augmented in 1728 with £200 of Queen Anne's Bounty, £120 given by the Rev. Henry Rix, and £80 given by the parishioners. The Lord Chancellor is patron, and the Rev. Henry Whitelock Turner, M.A. is the incumbent. The tithes have been commuted for £305 a year.
A house and 3 acres of land in Colton, and 2½ acres in Barnham Broom, let for about £11 a year, were purchased with £60 left by the Rev. Henry Rix in 1726. Out of the rent are paid 13s. 4d. for land tax; £1 1s. for a fee farm rent; 10s. for a distribution of bread; 10s. for a sermon; 1s. to the clerk; and £5 towards the support of the School; which has also a yearly rent-charge of £5, left by Elizabeth Brown in 1732, out of Blake, Keith & Blakes' land, £10 from the rector and parishioners, and £5 from the officiating minister.
The School is a pretty brick edifice, which was built in 1855, at a cost of £250. The poor have 20s. a year out of Mr. Hipkin's estate, left by James Seaborne in 1704. The Fuel Allotment, 10 acres, was awarded at the enclosure in 1801, and is now let for £19, which is distributed in coals.
POST OFFICE letters arrive at 5.45 a.m., despatched at 5.5 p.m., viâ Norwich. Barnham Broom is the nearest Money Order, and Mattishall the nearest Telegraph Office.
Andrews Thomas thatcher Bales Thomas vict. Negro's Head Comer Mrs Margaret farmer Dunnell Henry farmer & blacksmith Goward John farmer Grand Geo. shoemaker & sub-postmstr Hipkin Mrs Catherine farmer Hipperson Fredk. farmer & bricklayer Johnson Elijah pork butcher Matthews Miss M. National schoolmistress Miles Harvey farmer, Manor farm Minns John parish clerk Moore George farmer Tuck Edward shopkeeper and beerhs Turner Rev. Hy. Whitelock, B.A. rector
National School; Miss Martha Matthews, mistress
CARRIERS from East Tuddenham and Welborne pass through to Norwich on Wed and Sat
See also the Colton parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.