[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
COLTON, a parish and scattered village, 8 miles W. of Norwich, contains 282 souls and 893A. of land, belonging to Capt. Ives and Mr. H. Daveney, but forming part of the manor of Costessey.
The CHURCH (St. Andrew,) has a square tower and three bells. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6. 9s. 9d., and in 1831 at £365, was augmented in 1728, with £200 of Queen Anne's Bounty, £120, given by the Rev. Hy. Rix, and £80, given by the parishioners. The patronage is in the Crown, and the Rev. Henry Girdlestone is the incumbent.
A house and 3A. of land in Colton, and 2½A. in Barnham Broom, let for about £8 a year, were purchased with £60, left by the Rev. Henry Rix, in 1726. Out of the rent, there is paid 13s. 4d. for land-tax; £1. 11s. for a fee farm rent; 10s. for a distribution of bread, 10s. for a sermon, and 1s. to the clerk.
The residue is applied towards the support of a schoolmistress, who teaches 30 or 40 poor children, and receives also a yearly rent-charge of £5, left by Elizabeth Brown, in 1732, out of Capt. Ives' estate; £5 from the National School Society, and two or three guineas yearly from voluntary subscriptions [see note below].
The poor have 20s. a year out of Mr. Daveney's estate, left by James Seaborne, in 1704. The Fuel Allotment, 10A., was awarded at the enclosure in 1801, and is let for £12. 10s., which is distributed in coals.
Daveney Henry gentleman Doubleday James vict., Blackamoor Fitt Wm. shoemaker Grand Edmund shoemaker Melton Wm. beer seller Norton John bricklayer Norton Mr. Wm. Tann John wheelwright Tuck Robert carpenter Whisson Elizabeth schoolmrs. Whisson Jonathan blacksmith farmers. Howe John (maltster) Lynn Wm. Royall James
See also the Colton parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.