Zachary Clark: Charities belonging to the Poor: 1811
of the different CHARITIES
belonging to THE POOR
of the COUNTY of NORFOLK,
Abridged from the Returns under GILBERT'S ACT,
to the House of Commons in 1786;
and from THE TERRIERS
in the Office of the LORD BISHOP OF NORWICH.
by ZACHARY CLARK.
- G - (if present) an abridged extract from Gilbert's Returns, 1786
- T - (if present) an abridged extract from a terrier, with its date
- GT - (if present) combined abridged extracts from Gilbert's Returns
and a terrier.
- In the original, pounds are shown as "l" so, for example, 60 pounds
is shown as "60l." which is not easy to read. In this transcription
they are shown as "£" so 60 pounds appears as "£60".
- In other documents for Colton the name is James Seaborne.
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
G.- The Rev. Henry Rix in November 1726
bequeathed £60 to purchase Land, the rent
thereof to be applied for teaching four poor children;
for a sermon to be preached every year
on the day of his death; and for the remainder to
be laid out in bread, to be then given to the
Poor. The land is vested in Trustees, and the
neat produce thereof is £3 3s. 6d. per annum.
A Rent Charge of £5 per annum, paid out of
an Estate late Mrs. Grey's, given by Elizabeth
Brown by Will dated in 1732, for teaching six
poor children, and the remainder for cloaths and
1A. in Barford, given by Thomas Seaborn [sic],
now let for £1 per annum, which is distributed
among the Poor on Old Christmas Day.
T.- Terrier 1806 mentions a Piece of Land
containing 10A. allotted by the Commissioners
appointed for inclosing the commons, &c. in
said parish, for the use of the Poor.
See also the Colton parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and
the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web
pages. Please see the
Copyright © Pat Newby.