COLTISHALL, a large village, with a fair on Whit-Monday, and a considerable trade in malt, corn, ale, &c., is pleasantly scattered on the east bank of the Bure, 7 miles N.E. by N. of Norwich. Its parish has 897 inhabitants, and 1179A. 3R. 31P. of land, of which 1129 acres are assessable, 951 arable, and 41 woods and plantations. The soil belongs to a number of proprietors, the largest of whom are, Wm. Burroughes, Esq.; R.P. Kemp, Esq., of the Manor House; and Mrs. Ward, of Coltishall Hall, a neat house, on a woody declivity. The houses at the west end of the village are in the parish of Great Hautboys.
Henry III. granted by letters patent, in 1231, "to all men, women, and children born, or to be born, in his village of Coltishall," freedom from all villainage of body and blood, and from toll, stallage, picage, and paunage (sic, ie pannage), in all fairs and markets throughout England; and that "all frays, transgressions, bargains, quarrels, and suits, concerning the said town of Coltishall, should be determined, twice every year, before the King's officers at the leets there." Henry VI. conveyed all his rights in this manor to King's College, Cambridge, to which the advowson is still attached.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £7.2s.6d., has 29A. 3R. of glebe, and is now enjoyed by the Rev. Wm. Abbot, M.A., of Horstead. The tithes have recently been commuted for £340 per ann. The Church (St. John the Baptist,) was built about 1284, and has a tower 67 feet high, with six bells.
Here is a Wesleyan Chapel, built in 1842.
The Free School, with the master's house, was built by the parish, and is endowed with £10 a year, left by John Chapman, in 1718, for ten free scholars; and the dividends of £360 three per cent. stock, left by the Rev. Chas. Gape, D.D., in 1815. A road which crossed the lawn was given up in 1782, on condition that the owner of the Hall should pay 40s. yearly for the poor.
The POST OFFICE is at the White Horse Hotel. Letters despatched 8½ morning, and 5 afternoon.
Adamson James supervisor Archer Mrs Frs. Bacon Alfred chemist and druggist Blake Rev Thomas,LL.D. Bond Mrs S. A. Brown Frederick maltster Buck Samuel coal mercht. & brewer Bugg Wm. saddler Clare Philip joiner and builder Coman James plumber and glazier Cooper Rev Thomas Jennys curate Copeman Edward surgeon Deacle Rev Hicks vicar of Dilham and Honing Edwards Mrs A. Engledew Thomas blacksmith Farman John basket maker Fenn Mason glover, &c. Fennell Captain Edward Fox George hairdresser Fox John wheelwright Goose John watchmaker Hallock Robt. cabinet mkr. & beerhs Haylett Robert vessel owner Hipper Wm. chimney sweeper Horner Wyatt plumber, painter, &c Hough Rev Thos.Geo.P. curate Howes Mrs Eliz. Jerrold Mr Jas. Kemp Rt. Palmer,Esq. Manor House Knights W. farmer Limmer George veterinary surgeon Lofty Charles butcher Massingham Joseph Free Schoolr. Mayes Henry farmer Mealing corn and coal merts. of Norwich, and Mills have offices here Oates Sarah Perkins Mrs Eliz. Riches Wm. hairdresser Rudling Thomas cooper St John Captain James R.N. Shipley Rd. farmer & parish clerk Tuck Wm. machine owner Ward Mrs Maria & Mr Jas. Hall Watts Robt. carpenter & coal dealer Wilkins Elizabeth boat owner Wright Thos. corn, coal, & timber mert Wright Thomas boat builder INNS AND TAVERNS. Anchor Charles Gibbs King's Head George Gray White Lion George Ives (butcher, brewer, and coal, &c. merchant) White Horse Hotel Jeremiah Gaze Boot & Shoe Mkrs. Amis Samuel Harmer Jacob Page Wm. Rice Samuel Shopkeepers. (* are Bakers.) Brooks George Cooper Eliz. Field John (and draper) *Fuller John Murphy Patrick *Rouse Henry *Rouse John Tailors. Newhouse Robt. Ward James Willey JohnCOACH, &c. to Norwich, 8 mg. and North Walsham, 5 aftn.
CARRIERS to Norwich, Mon. Wed. & Sat.-
Barnard John Edwards Wm.
Copyright © Pat Newby.