COLNEY, on the river Yare, 3 miles W. of Norwich, is a parish in Henstead union, Norwich county court district and bankruptcy district, Humbleyard hundred, Swainsthorpe petty sessional division, Norwich polling district of the Southern division, Humbleyard rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry.
It contained 95 inhabitants in 1881, living on 948 acres, and had a rateable value of £1266. The whole of the parish, including the Hall, was purchased in 1881 by John Gurney, Esq., M.A., J.P., of Sprowston, who is also lord of the manor. Colney Hall is a large and handsome modern mansion in a well-wooded park of 70 acres, and is occupied by George M. Chamberlin, Esq.
The CHURCH (St. Andrew) is a neat flint building, in the Early Decorated style, comprising nave, chancel, and round tower with two bells. The 3-light east window is of the Perpendicular period, and is filled with stained glass, the centre compartment containing a representation of the patron saint. There are two stained glass windows in memory of the late Joseph Scott, Esq. There are tablets of the Scott, Gibson, and Browne families, and an altar tomb to the memory of William Tomson, Esq., who died in 1575. The font has been beautifully restored.
Mr. Gurney is patron of the rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6 13s. 4d., and now in the incumbency of the Rev. John Hervey Payne, B.A. The glebe is 38 acres, and the tithes were commuted in 1840 for £229 a year. The rectory house is a commodious residence.
POST OFFICE at George Wright's. Letters despatched, viâ Norwich, which is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office, at 5.30 p.m.
Burcham John parish clerk Chamberlin George Moore draper, Norwich, The Hall Makens Bros. farmers & cattle dealers, & Ringshall & Bucklesham, Suffolk Maken William (Bros.) Colney house Payne Rev. John Hervey, B.A. vicar Wright George blacksmith & wheelwright, and (h) Great Melton
CARRIERS from Watton and Hingham pass through on Wednesday and Saturday to Norwich
Copyright © Pat Newby.