COLBY, or Coleby, 3 miles N. by E. of Aylsham, has in its parish 346 souls, and 1115 acres of land, mostly the property of Lord Suffield, Mr. S.D. Roper, and W.H. Windham, Esq., and forming part of the manor of Crackford.
The Church (St. Giles,) is a neat structure, which was repaired in 1748 and 1834. In the former year, the north aisle was taken down. The east window was decorated, about twelve years ago, with ancient stained glass, collected by the rector, who also purchased the altar piece, a fine painting of Moses and Aaron. The font is richly carved with figures of the Holy Family, the Evangelists, &c.
The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £8. 15s. 10d., in the gift of Lord Suffield, and incumbency of the Rev. George Coleby, B.A. The tithes were commuted, in 1839, for £361. 16s. per annum, and the glebe is about 7A. The Church Land is 9A. 1R. 29P.
A cottage and 1A. of land at Banningham, belonging to Colby, have been sold for £48. In 1723, Richard Snelling left two yearly rent-charges, viz., 20s. for the aged poor, and 30s. for clothing poor children of Colby.
Thomas de Colby, D.D., who died Bishop of Lismore and Waterford, in Ireland, in 1406, was a native of this parish.
Boardman Mr. R. Coleby Rev. Geo., B.A. Rectory Colman Chas. tailor Durrell John grocer Heyhoe Thos. bricklayer Pearson John bricklayer Rook Wm. wheelwright Roper Snelling Drosier gentleman Sexton Stephen shoemaker and beerhouse Clover Thos. farmer Golding Jno. farmer Lacey Robert farmer Pegg Robert farmer
Copyright © Pat Newby.