COCKTHORPE, a small parish and hamlet, 6 miles W.N.W. of Holt, has only 42 inhabitants, a few cottages, and two FARMS, containing about 500 acres, occupied by Ness Harvey and Thomas R. Simpson, and belonging to Lord Calthorpe, the lord of the manor and patron of the CHURCH, (All Saints,) which is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £5, but consolidated with Blakeney rectory, Little Langham vicarage, and Glanford [sic]curacy, in the incumbency of the Rev. Joseph Cotterill, of Blakeney, with 26A. of glebe. The joint livings were valued in 1831 at £506 per annum.
Cockthorpe is supposed to have given birth to those three valiant admirals of the 17th century - Sir Cloudesley Shovel, Sir John Narborough, and Sir Christopher Minns; but some authors say the first was a native of Cley, and the last, the son of an honest shoemaker of London, though both spent the early part of their lives at Cockthorpe.
Copyright © Pat Newby.