It is mostly the property and manor of the Rev. Henry Joseph Muskett, M.A., who is also patron and incumbent of the living, which is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6 13s. 4d. Clippesby House is a handsome modern mansion of white brick, with stone quoins and pilasters, pleasantly seated at the head of a fine lawn, sheltered on the north by thriving plantations.
The CHURCH (St. Peter) is an ancient edifice, on an eminence, and consists of nave and chancel. The circular tower with octagon top embattled, and the north door, which is now restored, has a fine Norman arch. It was restored in 1873 at a cost of £1000. A piscina was discovered some years ago.
Here are several tablets of the Muskett family; a tombstone to Thomas Pallinge and his wife, dated 1503, but stripped of its brasses; also an altar tomb, dated 1594, to the memory of John Clippesbye and his wife, whose effigies are beautifully portrayed in brass. The Register dates from 1732.
The tithes were commuted, in 1841, for £246 7s., and the glebe is 3A. 1R. 21P.
POST from Yarmouth, via Flegg Burgh.
Cross G.W. frmr. & overseer, Old Hall Dawson James shopkeeper Goodson Ezekiel gamekeeper Howlett Thomas farmer, South house Muskett Rev. Henry rector, Rectory Joseph, M.A. Sharman George gardener Starling Robert farmer, Heron cottage
See also the Clippesby parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.