Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Clippesby

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

CLIPPESBY parish, 9 miles N.W. of Yarmouth, has only a few scattered houses, 123 inhabitants, and 870A. 1R. 38P. of land, mostly belonging to Henry Muskett, Esq., of Clippesby House, a handsome modern mansion of white brick, with stone quoins and pilasters, pleasantly seated at the head of a fine lawn, sheltered on the north by thriving plantations.

The Church (St. Peter) has a raised altar tomb to the memory of John Chippesbye [sic] and his wife, whose effigies are beautifully portrayed in brass.

The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6. 13s. 4d., and in 1831, at £250. The tithes were commuted, in 1839, for £244. 19s. 4d. The glebe is 3A. 1R. 9P., and the Rev. Wm. Colby is the incumbent.

H. Muskett, Esq., is the patron, and also lord of the manor; and the other principal residents are, George and James Barwood, butchers; Denny Palmer, blacksmith; Wm. Garret, farmer, South House; and Azariah Waters, Old Hall.


These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

See also the Clippesby parish page.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
March 2004