CLEY-NEXT-THE-SEA is a small town and port, on the river Glaven, about 1 mile from the beach, 8 miles W. of Wells, 4½ miles N.N.W. of Holt, and 25 miles N.N.W. of Norwich. Its parish has increased its population since 1801, from 547 to 828 souls, and contains 2167A. of land, a great part of which is salt marsh. W.H.C. Hardy, Esq., is lord of the manor, and owner of a great part of the soil. Cley had formerly a small market on Saturday, and has still a pleasure fair on the last Friday and Saturday in July.
The harbour is very narrow and shallow, but in its course to the sea it forms a junction with the Blakeney channel. The CUSTOM HOUSE for the Port of Blakeney and Cley, (including Cromer and several fishing towns,) is situated here; and according to its returns for 1844, there were exported in that year upwards of 38,000 qrs. of corn, and above 10,000 sacks of flour; and imported more than 20,000 chaldron of coals, four cargoes of timber, and fourteen cargoes of rape and linseed cake. In the same year there belonged to the varous places within the limits of the port, 115 registered vessels, besides 380 fishing vessels; but the latter are chiefly at Cromer, Sherringham, Runton, &c.
The Custom House officers are
Bacon Robert, Esq. collector Grieve David, Esq. comptroller Bacon Mr. J.W. clerk Jary Jacob tidewaiter Ramm John tidewaiter Linom Geo. coast waiter at Cromer
Cley CHURCH (St. Margaret,) is a handsome Gothic edifice, with a square tower, supposed to have been built in the reign of Henry VI.; but the transepts and west porch are in ruins. In the chancel is a brass, dated 1429, and representing John Yslington, in a priest's habit. Here is also a fine brass, with representations of John Symonds, his wife, and eight children; and in the churchyard is the altar-tomb of Captain John Grieve, who assisted Sir Cloudesly Shovel in burning the ships in the port of Tripoli, in Barbary, in 1676.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £22. 13s. 4d., has 17A. of glebe, but no parsonage. The trustees of the late J.W. Tomlinson, Esq., are patrons, and the Rev. Chas. Codd, B.A., is the incumbent. The tithes have been commuted for £405 per annum.
The Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel here; and in the town is a Lancasterian School, established in 1834. An Allotment of 52A. was awarded to the poor at the enclosure, in 1812.
In 1406, James, son of Robert Bruce, King of Scotland, and heir apparent to the crown, being on a voyage to France, was driven by stress of weather on this coast, and detained by the mariners of Cley, who sent him prisoner to London.
The POST-OFFICE is at Mr. Elsy's, where letters arrive at half-past 12 noon, and are despatched at a quarter before two afternoon.
Allen Philip farm bailiff Bacon Robert, Esq. colr. of Customs Bacon Thos. Waterson clerk to do. Beckwith Rev Thomas curate of Wiveton Cooke Corbett J. surgeon Crofts Mr Thomas Davidson Wm. farm bailiff Dingle Mrs Ellis Edmund clerk in Customs Elsy Jph. Cornelius hairdresser, &c Fisher Judith Grieve Dd. comptroller of Customs Haycock Jph. jun. corn & coal merchant, and maltster (and Wells) Jackson John Barber clerk Jary Jacob tide waiter Jordan Mrs Eliz. Lee John corn and coal merchant, miller, and maltster Marcon Rev Charles curate Mason Henry cooper Moore Mrs Margaret merchant Painter Clark glazier, &c. (& Holt) Prike Zachariah farmer Ramm John tidewaiter Richardson John R. shipbuilder Stirges David, Edward, and John bricklayers Taylor Edw. farmer, Swans Lodge Turner William gentleman Upjohn Edward farmer INNS AND PUBLIC HOUSES. Gibbs Wm. Fishmonger's Arms Waller John George and Dragon (and auctioneer) Barnard Wm. King's Head Gogle Henry Three Swallows Bakers. Joiners, &c. Pitcher Josiah Brett John Doyle Thomas Christmas Jph. Smith Henry Coe Robert (and lime burner) Curson James Beerhouses. Dew Chas. (cabt.) Jarvis Wm. Ampleford Stpn. Waller John Jary Mary Blacksmiths. Master Mariners. Lee John Barstead Samuel Thurston John Bix James Mann Robert Mann Isaac Platten Robert Ramm Howard Butchers. Shoemakers. Copeman John Digby John Curl John Mackerell James Shore George Sadler William Grocers & Dprs. Tailors. Doyle Thomas Clarke John Muskett J. & W. Plumb J.W. (and Holt) Sergant Thos. F. Rush Elizabeth Stangroom Jerh.
CARRIERS. From Blakeney to Norwich, Tue. & Fri.
Sailing Packets, to London and Hull once a fortnight.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and
the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web
pages. Please see the
If you use this information in your research, please say that it is from Genuki Norfolk.
Copyright © Pat Newby.