Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome

Norfolk: Claxton

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

CLAXTON, 7½ miles S.E. of Norwich, is a parish in Loddon union, Norwich county court district and bankruptcy district, Loddon petty sessional division, Loddon hundred, Loddon polling district of South Norfolk, Brooke rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 204 inhabitants in 1881, living on 991 acres, and has a rateable value of £1492.

Sir Charles H.S. Rich owns most of the soil, and is lord of the manor. In the reign of Edward III. Walter de Kerdiston had license to castellate his manor house here, and a charter for a market and fair. Here are still some remains of the ancient manor house. A court baron and customary court is held every July.

The CHURCH (St. Andrew) is a thatched building, comprising nave, chancel, south porch, and square embattled tower with three bells. The chancel contains a piscina and a memorial tablet to Sir Henry Gawdy. The chancel was entirely rebuilt at the expense of Sir C.H.S. Rich, in 1873. There is also a memorial tablet to the Rev. Stephen Webster, formerly incumbent of Claxton.

There is no rectory house. The living is a limited rectory in the patronage of Sir Charles H.S. Rich, impropriator and patron of the living, which was augmented with £200 of Queen Anne's Bounty in 1810. The Rev. George Gilbert, M.A. is the incumbent. The tithe upon 780A. 3R. 9P. (the estate of Sir C.H.S. Rich), was in 1840 commuted at £130, which is payable to the impropriator. The tithe upon the remaining portion of the land, or 202A. 1R. 39P., was commuted at £57, and is payable to the incumbent, Rev. George Gilbert, M.A., who is resident in a house of his own.

The Particular Baptists have a chapel here, built in 1749 and enlarged in 1800: it has 800 sittings. A National School was built in 1848, and a teacher's house and class-rooms were added in 1858 at the expense of the Rev. G. Gilbert. The Poor's Allotment, 6A. 3R. 5P., was awarded at the enclosure, in the 48th of George III., and is now let for £8 14s. a year. The Church Land is 5A. 24P.

POST from Norwich, viâ Thurton. Wall Letter Box here cleared at 2.30 p.m.

	Bate      William           farmer, Manor farm
	Chapman   Geo.              miller & marsh farmer
	Durrant   John              farmer
	Farrow    John              mrkt. grdnr. & overseer
	Fish      Mrs Jane          market gardener
	Gilbert   Rev. George, M.A. rector
	Goddard   Mrs Sarah Ann     dairy farmer, and at Norwich
	Long      Robert            market gardener
	Osborne   William           grocer and draper
	Parsons   Mrs Rebecca       victualler, Folly Inn
	Ruddock   John              shopkeeper and draper
	Smith     William           market gardener
	Strachan  Mrs A.K.          Natnl. schlmstrss
	Walpole   Henry             parish clerk
	Ward      Henry             blacksmith

See also the Claxton parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
If you use this information in your research, please say that it is from Genuki Norfolk.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
October 2015