[Transcription copyright © Mike Bristow]
CLAXTON, 7½ miles S.E. of Norwich, has in its parish 200 souls, and 977A. of land. Sir Chas. H. Rich owns most of the soil, and is lord of the manor, impropriator, and patron of the vicarage, which was valued in 1831 at £61, and was augmented with £200 of Q.A.B., in 1810. The Rev. John Gilbert, of Chedgrave, is the incumbent.
The CHURCH (St. Andrew,) has inscriptions to the Gawdy, Bushby, Rouse, and other families. In the reign of Edward III., the Kerdistons had license to castellate their manor-house here, and a charter for a market and fair. Here are still some remains of the ancient manor-house.
The Baptists have a chapel here, which was rebuilt in 1800, and is under the ministry of the Rev. Job Hupton, of Ashby.
The Poor's Allotment, 6A. 3R. 5P., was awarded at the enclosure, in the 48th of George III. The Church Land is 4A. 39P.
Chapman Jeremiah miller Folkard Samuel blacksmith Fuller John carpenter Sharman Mary vict., Folly Starling Jas. shopkeeper farmers Batchelder Jeremiah Burton Edw. Crane Thos. Heasall Charles
See also the Claxton parish page.
Copyright © Mike Bristow.