Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Chedgrave

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

CHEDGRAVE, on the north bank of the Thurne rivulet, is a parish and village forming a northern suburb of Loddon, 9 miles S.E. of Norwich. It is in Loddon and Clavering union, Beccles county court district, Yarmouth bankruptcy district, Loddon petty sessional division, Loddon polling district of South Norfolk, Loddon hundred, Brooke rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 368 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1405 acres, and has a rateable value of £2456.

The principal owners of the soil are Mr. J.W. Gilbert and Sir Reginald William Proctor-Beauchamp, Bart. The latter is lord of the manor. The village has been greatly improved by the erection of several neat cottages in lieu of unsightly buildings. These improvements were commenced by the late Sir Thos. W.P. Proctor-Beauchamp, Bart., and the work of restoration has been further carried on by J.W. Gilbert, Esq., owner of the manor house.

The CHURCH (All Saints) is a small building, having a thatched roof, and consisting of nave, chancel, north aisle, and low square tower containing one bell. The south doorway is a good specimen of Norman work, and the east window is filled with beautiful stained glass, purchased by a former Lady Beauchamp, and brought from Rouen Cathedral at the time of the first French Revolution. Restorations were made in the chancel in 1872 at a cost of £140, when the church and school were lighted with gas from the neighbouring works of Loddon, at the expense of the present rector.

Sir Reginald Wm. Proctor-Beauchamp, Bart., J.P., is patron of the discharged rectory, which was valued in the King's Book at £5 6s. 8d., is held by the Rev. Hy. Alfred Barrett, M.A., rural dean, who has 6A. 1R. 15P. of glebe, and a yearly rent-charge of £221 10s. The rectory house was presented to the living in 1833, by the third baronet, Sir Wm. Beauchamp.

A National School, with teacher's residence, was built here in 1857, at a cost of £700. The poor parishioners have several acres of common land called Lye's Heath, the yearly rental of which is distributed in coal by the churchwardens.

POST from Norwich, viâ Loddon. Wall Letter Box cleared at 3.30 p.m.

	Armsby    Leonard          well sinker
	Balls     Henry            baker & parish clerk &
	                             organist, Loddon church
	Barrett   Rev. Hy.         rector and rural dean,
	            Alfred, M.A.     Rectory House
	Blake     Henry            police constable
	Branch    Robert           watchmaker and
	                             dealer in patent medicines
	Brown     Miss Annie       schoolmistress
	Crisp     John & Charles   bricklayers and plasterers
	Forder    John             thatcher
	Fraser    Captain George
	Galer     William          market gardener
	Garrood   Charles J.       grocer & draper
	Goff      Johnson          shopkeeper; and miller at Mundham
	Herring   Lieut.-Col. Wm.  Manor hse
	Hoddy     Mr Edgar
	Hoddy     James            blacksmith and wheelwright,
	                             and at Loddon
	Hupton    Fredk.           bricklyr. & plasterer
	Phillips  Mrs Susannah
	Snelling  Samuel           shoemaker
	Tibbenham Mr Edward
	Turner    Geo.             vict. White Horse Inn
	Whitwood  Saml.            sexton & parish cnstble

See also the Chedgrave parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
February 2008