[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
CENTRAL WINGLAND is a new parish, consisting of 3193 acres of land, of which 1649 acres are in Lincolnshire and the rest in Norfolk. The Lincolnshire portion is in the Parts of Holland, Holbeach union and county court district, Elloe wapentake, Long Sutton petty sessional division, and Long Sutton polling district of South Lincolnshire; and the Norfolk portion is in Holbeach union and county court district, Lincoln bankruptcy district, Freebridge Marshland petty sessional division and hundred, and Terrington St. Clement's polling district of West Norfolk. It contains a few scattered farm houses, and had in 1881 a population of 294 (47 in Lincolnshire).
Some of the inhabitants attend Sutton Bridge church, and others Terrington St. Clement's.
It is about 9 miles N. of Wisbech and 10 W. of Lynn. The whole of the parish has been gained from the sea since 1831 (when the first enclosure was made) by the cutting of the Nene Outfall; previously to that the whole area was a marsh overflowed by the tides at high water. There have been two subsequent enclosures, namely in 1848 and in 1869. The chief owners are the Crown, Mrs. Gibbons, R.P. Mossop, Esq., Colonel Long, and Mr. D. Coy. The land is well cultivated, and is mostly fertile.
There is no place of worship here.
The nearest POST OFFICE is at Sutton Bridge, and also the Railway Station.
Those marked * are in Norfolk, and letters should be addressed viâ Terrington St. Clement's, King's Lynn.
Clarke John farmer * Coy David farmer Dickerson John farm bailiff Eastland John farmer Faulkner Joseph farmer, Marsh Mossop R.P. farmer; h Sutton * Pratt Robert farmer * Rees Chas. farmer, Wingland grange Skelton Edwd. frmr.; h Sutton bridge * Stuart John farm bailiff * Thurlby Joseph farmer Todkill Joseph farmer, Marsh
See also the Central Wingland parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.