[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
CATTON is a delightful suburban village and parish, 2 miles N. of Norwich, in Taverham hundred, St. Faith's union, Norwich county court and bankruptcy district, Norwich polling district of South Norfolk, rural deanery of Taverham, and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. It contained 751 inhabitants in 1881, and about 900 acres of land, belonging to a number of proprietors, many of whom reside here, and have purchased the rectorial tithes of the Dean and Chapter of Norwich, who are lords of the manor.
There are numerous picturesque mansions and villas in this parish. The chief are, Catton Hall, a splendid mansion in a well-wooded park of 70 acres, the residence of S. Gurney Buxton, Esq.; the Grove, occupied by Thomas John Carter Rackham, Esq., and used as a private asylum; the Firs, the well built residence of Walter Overbury, Esq. Fred. Bullard, Esq., T. Carter, Esq., Donald Steward, Esq., and others have beautifully situated and splendid residences here.
During the repairs of a large barn in this parish in 1850, a considerable number of fragments of pillars and capitals, shafts, mouldings, &c. in Caen stone was found imbedded in the walls. They were chiefly of the Transitional Norman period, and appeared to have been merely used as building material, having probably belonged to some ecclesiastical building in the immediate locality.
The CHURCH (St. Margaret) is in the Perpendicular style, and comprises nave, chancel, south aisle, a double transept, a large porch, and an ivy-covered tower, round at the base and octagonal above. The aisle was built in 1850, at a cost of £400, and a double transept was added in 1851 by George Morse, Esq., at a cost of £1500. The transepts are separated by arches resting on pillars, having richly foliated capitals. A handsome organ was presented to the church in 1880 by S. Gurney Buxton, Esq. Many of the windows are well executed and filled with richly stained glass from the designs of the Rev. Richard Hart, a former vicar. Here are numerous mural monuments to the Corie, Greene, Bignold, Chamberlin, Ives, Buckle, Brereton, Bushby, Lincoln, Morse, Adams, and other families.
The living, valued in the King's Book at £4 13s. 9d., is a vicarage, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Norwich, and incumbency of the Rev. Gerrard Alexander Crookshank, M.A., who has £158 17s. a year vicarial tithes, £10 a year in lieu of rectorial tithes, and 17 acres of glebe.
The National School was built in 1874 by Samuel Gurney Buxton, Esq., and is in receipt of the government grant. It is attended by about 70 children. There is a reading room for working men, and a lending library attached to the school.
Mr. Mark Addey gave by will, in February 1729, and that of his wife Elizabeth, dated December 1732, certain lands in Scottow, now belonging to Sir Thomas Durrant, which are charged with the yearly payment of £15, to be applied as follows: £1 to the minister for preaching a sermon yearly, and 2s. to the clerk; 10s. to be applied in the purchase of bread for the poor, and the residue in the education and apprenticing of 6 boys, or whom 2 are to be taken from the parish of St. Peter Mancroft Norwich, and 4 from this parish. William Bussey bequeathed the sum of 20s. for the use of 20 of the neediest poor, to be paid yearly; John Warner 10s., to be distributed in bread; a Mr. Wall 2½ acres of land, which was exchanged in 1826 for 3A. 1R. 16P., the rents of which are applied in the purchase of bread for the poor.
John Norman, Esq. bequeathed 6d. each to 20 poor people, to be distributed yearly on November 1, and 20s. to the vicar, and 2s. 6d. to the clerk, for a sermon to be preached in the church once in 2 years. By virtue of a commission out of the Court of Chancery, an inquisition was held at Norwich Castle in June 1701, when it was decreed that 'Robert Greene, his heirs and assigns, in respect of certain lands in the parish (now the property of S. Gurney Buxton, Esq.) pay the sum of 10s. 2d., and that William Sutton, his heirs and assigns, by the same decree pay the sum of 9s. 4d.' These sums are also distributed by the churchwardens in bread for the poor.
POST and MONEY ORDER OFFICE at Mr. Henry Harrowven's. Letters are received at 4.30 a.m., and despatched at 6 p.m., viâ Norwich. Wall Letter Box at Catton Grove villas, cleared at 6 p.m. Nearest Telegraph Office, Norwich.
Attoe Geo. Wm. farmer & lime burner Attoe Henry assistant overseer Attoe William lime burner Badcock William Edward blacksmith Berney The Misses Boyce John brewer (Bullard & Son) Bright Mr Henry Brownsmith Mr John Bullard Frederick brewer (B. & Sons) Buxton Samuel Gurney, Esq., J.P. Catton hall Carter Mr Thomas The Elms Clarke George market gardener Cooke Mr Henry Crookshank Rev. Gerrard Alexander, M.A. vicar of Catton Cubitt William Jary wine and spirit merchant, Norwich Dennington William market gardener Gowing George farmer; h Hellesdon Guymer Mrs Mary Anne Harrowven Henry blacksmith Harrowven William gamekeeper Hart Mrs Jane Holmes Mrs Harriet Howlett Miss Ellen schoolmistress Jackson Rev. Michael rector of St. Paul's, Norwich, Satterthwaite St. Paul's Vicarage Jermy William vict. The Maid's Head Lubbock Miss Marianne Marsh William chemist's assistant Mason John brick merchant Millard Mrs Isabel Orris Alfred farmer Orsborn Mrs Anna builder Orsborn George builder and contractor (Orsborn Bros.) Orsborn Robert builder and contractor (Orsborn Bros.) Overbury Walter solicitor, Norwich, The Firs Plowman Robert saddler and vict. The Magpie Rackham Elisha market gardener Rackham Thomas Carter private asylum, Catton grove Rackham Thomas Hanworth solicitor, Norwich, The Cottage Sewell Mrs Mary Sidney Mr William John Stevens Mr Henry William Steward Donald brewer (S. & Patteson) Thurgar William John grocer and draper Walpole Mrs Helen Wells Mr Henry Rose lodge
CARRIERS from Norwich to Aylsham, etc. pass through daily
See also the Old Catton parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.